1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Wimbledon thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Jun 22, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nadal is 11-6 lifetime against him. The there was the curious case of Guillermo Canas, who beat him in consecutive tournaments last year. I couldn't find if he was ahead in the all-time series though.

No-one else springs immediately to mind.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I think Roger gets him back, in some ways the French Open beatdown was a wake-up call and possibly a relief. Even the great ones have an off day against a guy who was almost impossible to beat to begin with.

Plus, frankly, tennis needs Federer to be on top for another couple of years. He's carrying the sport in terms of mainstream press and it doesn't seem like anyone else is really interested in doing it.

And I would pick Venus over Serena here. This seems like one of those Venus years, she's sort of under the radar and not getting a lot of attention.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Marat wins! Marat wins!

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That 2nd round game against Djokovic could be outstanding. Like the announcers were saying, he usually plays to the level of his opposition.

Safin could get a huge boost with a win on Wednesday.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oh dear Chris Fowler: Estonia is in the Balkans, which is kind of near Finland, right?

It's a good thing Bud was there to correct him.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I fucking hate Chris Fowler being involved with tennis.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I used to be a Williams sisters fan but after watching more and more of Serena, I am tired of her haughty attitude and body language. When playing a nobody in the 1st round, she just seems like there is no joy at playing at Wimbledon on a beautiful sunny day on the 1st day of the "fortnight."

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

She definitely wasn't playing a nobody today so it probably wasn't much fun.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Good news! Andy Murray's up two sets to none on Santoro, including winning four straight games to close out the second set.

Davydenko's done, knocked off in straight sets for the first big upset, and to SC's joy Andy Roddick's on the verge of advancing in straight sets.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hate to tell you this, GB, but Murray will not make it to the second week.

And was there anyting suspicious about Davydenko's straight-sets loss? Just asking.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He had an 'off day' apparently. And, you doddering old fart, I have belief in young Mr. Murray. The fact that he was down 4-2 in the second and came roaring back said something to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted