1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running White House Correspondents' Dinner Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Apr 28, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

She looked a lot lighter. I guess there were about 10 cameras on her.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Moddy is dangerously close to becoming America's Houseguest.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Rightwing nutjob" would be a tad strong. "Establishment Toolboy" would be more appropriate.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Tom Haveford: "At the risk bragging one of the things I'm best at is riding coattails. Behind every successful man is me smiling and taking partial credit."

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kimmel's timing seemed off. I think that some of the jokes were obviously not written by him and he seemed to swallow the jokes a bit

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the case in most years. They have to make cracks at members of the press that most of the people watching won't get. I remember that being the case with Meyers last year and Wanda Sykes a few years back.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'm not a huge Kimmel fan, but I'll give him credit for keeping a straight face on his C-SPAN interview when the guy asked him if he'd spoken to Rich Little for any advice on the gig.

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm going back and watching some of the older ones...

I listened to Sykes, who I think did the first Obama one and she was basically doing her act.

I think it was Lewis Black who did it when W. wasn't there because he was at the Pope's funeral.

Meyers, who I usually hate, was pretty good last year, but nothing great.

9. Mizzougrad96

Colbert was awesome. I agree he may be the benchmark, but he was pretty new at the time and this was a chance for him to get a shitload of publicity for the show, which he did.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just remember Meyers basically ending Trump's presidential hopes with about three jokes.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've only been to two and didn't play close attention before I made the guest list - but Meyers had the best line last year of any I've heard when he told Obama, "If your hair got any whiter, the Tea Party would endorse it."

12. Mizzougrad96

Trump is such an easy target though...

The Kimmel one that killed me was, "Remember when you said you were going to bring the country together? That was hilarious..."

Draft saved Draft deleted