1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just got a new TV capable of 120 FPS and, while it looks gorgeous at 60 FPS, playing Call of Duty at 120 FPS in performance mode is like having a cheat code. Holy shit, I never realized that my ever more mediocre stats in COD were not the result of aging or not practicing enough. It has literally been the hardware.

I’ve gone from a 1:1 K/D ratio over the past few years to 2:1 on a consistent basis and often being the best player in a given match. I went 30-2 in one match. It’s wild.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Money... gotta be the monitor.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. bigpern23

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ha, I made a similar jump in performance when I upgraded in Fallout 76 from 30-ish inch "normal" TV to a 55-inch TV when I moved to Texas.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

I’ve never bought a TV with video game performance in mind, but after joining a PS5 group on FB, I read a bit about latency and FPS, so this time I looked for a tv that would perform well in those areas. It’s made a huge difference.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. bigpern23

Recently started playing Ghost of Tsutshima directors cut on PS5 and it’s an excellent game. Good storyline, good user interface. That said, I really expected more graphically from the remaster. I know it was developed as a PS4 game, but it really shows. I thought they’d be able do more with it.

I haven’t played my PS4 since getting the 5, and I’m not sure I truly appreciated just how drastic the difference is.

7. bigpern23

The Matrix Awakens tech demo on PS5 is insane. The Unreal Engine 5 is going to produce some amazing games.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I have those white 4s. They have not made me a better basketball player.

Mngwa likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

IGN issued its updated list of the top 100 video games of all time.
    I'm not too sure on the top 10. Super Mario Bros. 3 (No. 10 on the list) is, for me, the best game ever. But what say you, SJ?

The Top 100 Video Games of All Time - IGN

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's interesting. A Mario game has to be in the top 10. Right? Looked like 3 was No. 11. I'd have Super Mario Bros. in the top 5 probably. Seems like it is the foundation of a lot and I honestly still play it!

I have GTA V in the top 5 and same with BOTW. I personally can't argue with BOTW as tops, but it can be polarizing. I didn't see GTA III but I scorlled fast. I liked that Tetris made it and pretty high.

No sports games or did I miss it? No Tecmo Bowl or Super Tecmo Bowl? NHL 94? But I might be a different audience!

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think there were any sports games. Seems like a Madden game from the late 90s or early 2000s should have been in there somewhere, just for the way it introduced the "GM Mode" concept that's been copied in almost every sports game since. Or the others you mentioned that were the best of the earlier generations.

Three Mario games were in the top 11 (including Super Mario World at No. 2), the original SMB was No. 21, and a couple others were further down the list, so Mario was pretty well represented.

I don't think GTA III was there, but San Andreas was. Which I have no problem with. GTA III was groundbreaking, but I'm not sure how well it holds up compared to its successors. There were a lot of things that needed improvement, and San Andreas fixed all of them. It was one of the best games from the PS2 generation, and certainly the best of the original PS2 trilogy. If I'm going back to play one of those first three games, it's San Andreas all day, every day.

I was surprised how many Nintendo games were among the elite — six of the top 11. That's pretty impressive for them.

Roscablo likes this.
  12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Feels like there's a lot of recency bias in the rankings, though considering the outlet and the audience maybe it's not all that surprising. I love me some Hades, but the 13th-best game of all time? Meanwhile, Final Fantasy 6 is 44th, FF7 98th and no mention of Tactics? You'd think FIFA would at least make a token appearance given its global popularity -- Championship Manager (now Football Manager) would probably be a bridge too far -- but maybe the "ewww, sportsball" stigma was too much for IGN's reviewers to overcome.

I know my biases, though. I haven't owned a console in at least 15 years, and I mainly move in the space between indie and AA games. AAA titles are lost on me for the most part.

Draft saved Draft deleted