1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Roscablo and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Um, I've now gotten about five in-stock PS5 twitter alerts from GameStop today. Coincidence? (No, still didn't get one.)

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

GameStop will soon be acquiring Sony

Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And the Sheinhardt Wig Company.

Tighthead likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Oh shiiiittttt. I wonder in what form? It's weird to me that they didn't just continue with some version that had all the schools, but completely randomly generated players. I don't think anyone was picking up that game to play as Tim Tebow.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It will have 100 schools and all fake players.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last few versions had all of the FBS and FCS schools, so probably closer to 200 schools.
    As for the players, this was one game where it didn't matter since one of the big appeals was the recruiting mode and building your own dynasty. It was nice to play with some superstar in your first season or two, but if you kept a dynasty going beyond that you were starting to fill the roster with computer-generated players you had recruited anyway. In fact, that was preferable anyway. The recruits had names, while the default players were just numbers.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Beauty is going to be downloadable rosters. There are people who put in the time and do a good job with them.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I also wonder if they’re going to fuck with the code and make North Texas a powerhouse 7-8 years into any dynasty.

Batman likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The powerhouse in my long-running PS2 dynasty in NCAA 08 was Navy. I think they won more than 100 games in a row at one point, including a couple against me when I scheduled them specifically to end the streak. Their option offense was unstoppable, and they churned out Heisman winners every other year. Thanks to the BCS formula in use for that game, though, I think they only won one national championship during an eight-year undefeated streak. They kept finishing behind other undefeated teams in any given year.
    In that respect, the old EA slogan "If it's in the game, it's in the game" certainly rang true.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When they still had FCS schools in the game, I moved Towson up to replace someone in Conference USA. Never could get a whole lot better than 7-5 or 8-4 with them though because the rosters were still way, way behind even the worst FBS program. Hoping they get the licensing for most if not all FBS programs at least. FCS programs would be nice but it's not like there was an option to play a season with any of them when they were in the game unless you moved them up. And on the rosters, yes, downloadable rosters will be the key. It's not like you had named players in the other games either. You had to download the rosters at the start of the season and go from there.

Draft saved Draft deleted