1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's a thing? When did that come out?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Last Friday. Collab with the people who did The Golf Club and 2K sports. Really well done. Have been waiting for a good golf game for the PS4, because EA's Rory offering was mediocre at best.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Random stuff I've played recently:

- I Am Setsuna, which features almost the same gameplay as Chrono Trigger, but without that game's time travel element. The setting is really interesting, because it really feels like a snowed-in, desolate world, but it's more of a mid-tier JRPG to me, vs. something that's a "must play" if you like the genre, like the more recent Persona games.

- Citizens of Earth, which is clearly an homage to Earthbound, but really falls short, especially as the game goes on. There is some charming dialogue and gameplay, but so much of the game is a grind. Areas usually only have two or three different types of enemies, so you end up fighting literally dozens of the same enemy over and over again. Its easy to power level, which I did about halfway through, just to minimize the time spent in combat.

- I put my efforts in Fallout 76 on hold for a while, because it's hard to play during the pandemic at my place. (It monopolizes the TV, whereas Setsuna and some other games, I can switch from the TV to my Vita if need be.) But I'll probably check out the Wastelanders DLC this weekend.

4. Regan MacNeil

Ghost of Tsushima is the best video game I've ever played. Period.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I've been on a big Europa Universalis IV kick lately as I needed a distraction given recent events. The game is tailor-made for those who think there's not enough micromanagement in Civilization. I can see how EU4 can be all-consuming for certain people. The historical sandbox element offers almost endless replayability, and unlike other games maintaining a strong economy and good diplomacy are essential rather than a distraction from war. I appreciate that as I like to play tall and focus on making buckets of ducats through trade and production. Not that I'm above fighting, of course -- in my current Korea playthrough I'm three provinces away from owning all of Japan.

Now a mutual of mine on Twitter is raging about Paradox and its handling of the sequel to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. If Paradox takes the same DLC approach it uses for its 4x games, she'll be far from alone in that. I'm tempted to go back and play the original, though. I remember enjoying, which is a testament to its writing and characters as the combat was diabolically bad.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Alert nerds: If you never picked up the Final Fantasy VII remake, Target has it for half price at $24.99 as an early Black Friday promo.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just scored a PS5 and I’m pretty stoked about it. It was supposed to be a surprise Christmas present for the kids, but I shouted in celebration when the order got through and they knew what was up.

It arrives Saturday. I’m not sure it’ll wait until Christmas to get played.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

I'm waiting a few weeks to get one. I don't have time to play it right now anyway.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have to admit, seeing them selling for $1500 on eBay makes it tempting to sell it since the next six weeks are usually the busiest time of year for us.

It’s the first system I’ve ever gotten at launch, which is kind of fun.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Oh, it'll definitely not wait until Christmas. And, with lockdowns coming back nationwide, the new PS5 is a great distraction for you and the kids.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I got kind of lucky and got one from Playstation Direct on launch night. Someone online posted the link to the line que and I got in it and then was messing around with other sites trying to see if I could snag one. Probably two hours later I got in and they had them. Sold out of that batch less than 10 minutes later. I have to say, compared to all the retailer sites that were crashing left and right, PS Direct was awesomely smooth, even if I had to wait two hours to get in.

As a PS+ member got free express shipping too, so it is already out for delivery.

Anyway, when I told my wife I was going to try and get one she said it could be a Christmas present for me (not the kids!), and I am fine with that. Last night we were talking about it and she dead seriously asked me if I was waiting to open it to Christmas. I may have lovingly cussed at her something to the tone of, why in the eff would I wait until Christmas?! This is my thing not hers and I don't think she understands why even want it, but still, went through all that effort Wednesday night and early Thursday to wait until Christmas?

If it's for the kids (and you) and they know about it, open it up and get it going just like I will when it gets here in a little while!

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted