1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I got about 2/3 through the game on PC, but then that PC basically combusted, and I didn't have my saves backed up anywhere. Ever since then, I haven't had the heart to go back through and finish it, and that would require completely restarting. (Plus, I currently have a whole god damn shelf of unplayed games, nevermind what I have unplayed on Steam.) The game's Wiki for the final boss strategy is about 2,000 words though, if you have some time to read: Archdemon (strategy) - It sounds like I wouldn't have fared all that well, since I was running a melee character that mostly tried to kill things quick with double swords.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This looks like it might be fun. Friday the 13th: The Game.
    You get to play either as Jason, and kill all the counselors, or as one of the counselors and try to survive as long as you can.

The development story on this is interesting, too. It started out as a generic horror survival game set at a summer camp that was basically a knock off/homage to the Friday the 13th movies. Then Sean Cunningham, who holds the rights to the F13 franchise, got wind of it and gave developer Gun Media the movie rights for free to help them make an official F13 game.
    Since then they've gotten Tom Savini on board to design some of the kills and Kane Hodder to do motion capture work for Jason. They raised about $1 million in production money through Kickstarter and seem to really be approaching it as a labor of love. They've released a bunch of teasers and things online and for Kickstarter contributors that include nods to the movies (like a well-developed map of Higgins Haven from Part 3 and different skins for Jason).
    The game is supposed to be released in October. Looking forward to seeing how the final product turns out.

Bradley Guire and KYSportsWriter like this.
  3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That fireplace kill is epic.

I took the plunge and got Madden, but I only paid $20 to get it after some trades and using my GameStop points. So far, no weird glitches. But I don't play online, so maybe I won't see them.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Anybody know any games like Red Dead Redemption? Just an open world action game that has a story with some interesting historical elements. I am not a gamer so I don't know where to look.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to Friday the 13th as I highly enjoyed Until Dawn.

I finally got all the Riddler trophies to get 120 percent of Arkham Knight, including the side missions like Mad Hatter, Croc, Freeze, and Ra's al Ghul. I also played through the downloadable missions for Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Red Hood, and Harley Quinn. I also got through the bonus Scarecrow race/tank battle missions. I'm giving Arkham a rest until the remaster of the first two come out later this year.

I might pick up Madden for when I take my extended medical leave for back surgery. I'm already stockpiling some books and movies and TV seasons, too.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Madden isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

The commentary, while still a bit repetitive, is much better now that they've moved away from Simms and Nance. They hadn't changed that commentary much -- if at all -- in the five or six seasons Madden used them.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

New South Park game delayed until Q1 2017.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Once my xbone gets back from being replaced, not sure if I'll get Madden or NHL.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Anyone played Witcher 3? We got a PS4 for our boys for Christmas - my wife's suggestion; I couldn't have been more excited if she'd suggested a threesome - and that was the game I bought for myself. Lots of fun.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

That looks stupidly fun, like the old Blitz games.

Ever play those? I had Blitz on N64 back when they had the NFL license, then I think the XBox (original) version after parting with the NFL. I remember losing a player for a crushed scrotum. Good times.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Played a little Blitz - didn't have it but a friend did. Always enjoyed it. In their little video they say they're aiming for Blitz-style gameplay, which seems smart.

Draft saved Draft deleted