1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Pro Wrestling. That's another one. The main original Nintendo one they haven't released, other than Ten-Yard Fight.

The third-party developers had some great ones. Ikari Warriors, Rygar, Commando . . .

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://nerdbastards.com/2011/01/19/south-korean-gamers-sent-to-boot-camp-in-fight-against-addiction/

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I started replacing the Sharks season on NHL 2K10 about a year ago, then I got bored and abandoned it halfway through. Recently I had the computer sim the rest of the regular season to get me to the playoffs.

Tonight I played Game 6 of the Western semifinals against Edmonton and I was actually hooting and hollering at the TV like I was watching a real game. I was amazed at how into I got. My Sharks, who led the series 3-2, were down 5-3 with 10 minutes to play, but we rallied to tie. After one action packed OT we scored the series winner about 2 minutes into the second.

Anyway, I rarely get that excited watching a real game.

Just wanted to share because it says something about the game. And me. :)

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I just beat FF13 last night - I enjoyed it. I read a lot of complaints online about the linear story and how the game didn't allow you to grind, but I actually liked both aspects. Because there weren't 50 million side areas and towns to wander off into, I thought it gave the main narrative a sense of urgency. I'm not sure where it'll eventually slot into my All-Time Final Fantasy List, but I imagine it'll be toward the top vs. the bottom.

In contrast, Demon's Souls, ugh. Maybe when I was younger, I would have stuck with it. But after two hours last night, I said FEH. Just not into it at all. Today I eschewed playing it any longer to instead go into a re-play of Persona 4, which I picked up for $20 at Gamestop the other day.

(Valkyrie Profile 2 was $15, so I scooped that up too, figuring at the very least I'd get my money back if I wanted to sell it at some point. Liked it on the first playthrough though a couple years ago, so I imagine I'll keep it anyway.)

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thinking of replaying FF13 at some point, if only to see how awesome the game looks on the new TV.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Don't know if any of you guys play MLB 10 The Show, but there are some quirks in RTTS that piss me off. Namely that when you're thrown out running in the hit-and-run, you get benched.

My 3B isn't glacial, but he isn't fast. The only time I ever steal when the hit-and-run is called. And when it fails, I get benched. Thankfully I just got traded to San Fran from St. Louis. I plan to stick it up virtual Tony LaRussa's ass every chance I get.

7. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I almost bought a PS3 for the sole purpose of The Show (and blue-ray). The 2KSports version is good but I don't think as good as The Show.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Hi, I'm Gomer, and I had an addiction. Thankfully, I think it's over.

I got a platinum trophy on NBA Jam last week. You have to beat the game six times - with a team from every division - to do it. You have to win 36 games to beat the game once.

I love the game, but that was a bit much.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I have NBA Jam for my iPhone. Pretty freaking fun and easy controls.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

NBA 2K11 is such a great game. I play mine on the PS3, have been since November. So many modes, good online play, looks beauuuuutiful in HD.

Had an epic game today, shutting down Carmelo in the third quarter and going on an 18-2 run with the Atlanta Hawks (Josh Smith, what!). Needless to say, I won by eight.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Yeah, I saw the iPhone version of NBA Jam. If only it had multiplayer. After doing everything possible on the console version, the only thing to keep you coming back is online play. Then again, I paid $50, iPhone version is $5. And it has updated rosters.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Did you do it on the "Insane" difficulty level?

Draft saved Draft deleted