1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Give me a true darkhorse for this week. No, Adam Scott or Geoff Ogilvy doesn't count.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Bart Bryant.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Now that's a darkhorse!!

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Bubba Watson: 1st in driving distance, 8th in greens in regulation, 1st in greens in regulation when missing the fairway. But hope he's spent the last three days practicing his putting.

He's 150-to-1 in Vegas and those stats make him worth a $10 wager.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but those Watson stats translated are: first in driving distance, eighth in GIR because he drives the ball so damn far he's hitting nothing-irons into greens all day, first in GIR when missing the fairway because he's still pretty close to the green and just playing a gouged wedge from rough that is nothing like what he'll see this week.

For a longshot bet I'd take a plodder who drives it straight and is a money putter.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Loren Roberts? Wrong tour.

That used to be Brad Faxon but I think he's too short off the tee now.

Luke Donald. Been close before, has a nice short game.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Nowhere more true than here, where Watson's length will help him, but he's not going to be able to thrive on the bomb-and-gouge game when you're dealing with a 514-yard par-4.

That said, Play, Torrey's length will limit the number of players who can win there. Pea-shooters need not work on their victory speech Sunday evening.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Luke Donald's going to get there, sooner or later. And we won't have to wait as long for him as those members of the Sergio fan club have been forced to wait.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I keep waiting for Adam Scott to break through in one of the majors. Anybody think this will be the one, or will playing with Tiger and Phil in the first two rounds hurt him?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I know. These lengths are a farce. Pinching the fairways is almost always more penal than moving the tees back. Yet we're looking at an 8,000-yard Open in the very near future.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've said for years that Luke Donald was going to win a major and got tired of watching him play well for a day or two and then, nothing. I don't think he's driving it long or straight enough to contend at Torrey, but stranger things have happened.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Slacker. I hit the 20-byline mark twice at Augusta National and at my only Open at Bethpage. ;)

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted