1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 10, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Saturday and Sunday finishes are both in prime time in the East. I'm not saying anyone's decision is right or wrong, but if an East Coast SE asks himself, what am I going to get from my guy in an hour that he has to write that I won't get from AP, well, I understand it if he says it's not worth the money. Also depends on the writer; some will bust a gut to do good stuff on the local guys, which is material you won't get anywhere else.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Several big papers' full-time golf writer is now Doug Ferguson. It wasn't like that three or four years ago.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Knowing first-hand of the Herald's deadlines, finishing at 10 p.m. and 9 p.m. EDT isn't a problem. I'm still floored by this.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not disagreeing with you, but if my SE threw that at me I'd immediately jump him/her for sending a national college football writer to the BCS title game, among other ridiculous deadline-blowing events.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's an hour after that before the winner walks into the interview area. You listen to him for 30 minutes and . . .

I can understand the argument if a SE wants to make it, that's all.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just a personal note on West Coast Opens. 1999 at Olympic was the Casey Martin year. Needless to say, the boss wanted a story on his first round. He teed off at 3 something Pacific time, second to the last group. I dictated the story for SECOND edition. Night golf on deadline!! Awesome!!

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was 1998, Michael. And I believe it was the last year the Open had everyone tee off on No. 1. First two rounds ended at 9 p.m. PDT.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You are correct.

I was at that Open as well, probably standing next to Michael when he was interrogating Casey Martin.

That was one of the 16 stories I wrote in six days there. ;D

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And an Open never will be held at Kiawah. Because it's an 80 slope and it's too hard.

The USGA does indeed have an interest in creating birdie opportunities - just not at the expense of straying too far from par.

Look - +6 puts the winner at 290. That's happened all of two times since WWII. Once way over that at the Country Club in 50 mph winds. And once at Pebble Beach - which is three or four strokes harder than Torrey.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

They held a Senior PGA at Kiawah, which is one of the hardest courses in the country. But the Ocean Course doesn't have the infrastructure to host a U.S. Open.

But Alma, you're forgetting 1974's infamous "Massacre at Winged Foot," when Hale Irwin "survived" a ridiculous, tricked-up setup the USGA employed to avenge Johnny Miller's final-round 63 at Oakmont the previous year.

"Survived" in this instance, being 7-over-par.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not forgetting it. That 7-over was only 287 strokes.

Kiawah hosted a Seniors PGA, and it will host the regular PGA Championship in 2012. Which is fine...for the PGA, where you can simply throw a 535-yard par five in there for golfers to shoot at and keep the greens at a 9 or 10 on the stimp.

But the US Open intends to be far more exacting and specific than that, and Kiawah at a tricked up level is an 80 slope...hell - most major Pete Dye courses, if set up for an Open, would be nearly impossible. Can you imagine Sawgrass if they made 9 and 11 par fours?

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

I've got no problem with difficult tests of golf......but for the USGA to go in, essentially re-design the course to satisfy it's own ego.....that's bush-league.

Draft saved Draft deleted