1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 10, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Will you be the one giving out free beer coupons?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's Michelob at the concession stands so they SHOULD give it away IMO. But no, I won't be passing along any coupons, but perhaps a shopping bag so you can buy one of what seems 100 different hats and shirts with the Open's logo on it.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I won't be doing the SportsJournalists.com U.S. Open Fantasy Golf Pick 'Em. I still have a migraine from The Masters.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hondo,

You've got to figure par into it, though. Torrey will be a par-71. Whereas a 284 would be +4 on a par-70 course, it's even on a par 71.

And, yes, Torrey will be slightly easier than Oakmont and Winged Foot, which, had they played as par 71s, would have been a +1 and +2 winning score, respectively.

If Torrey is at +5 or +6, the USGA will have failed itself. It prefers its winning golfer to be between 280-284. Anything broaching 290 is Kiawah Island country - too hard.

Beyond that, the USGA wants a good tournament, and for that you need birdies. I can tell you for a fact that the U.S. Open <i> knew </i> it screwed up in 2002 and 2004. Screwed up in 1998, for that matter. The idea is to create a great test, yes, but also a great tournament - and the last two years rank with 1995 and 1997 for drama.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That did give a boost to Thurs/Fri prices. But the weekend tix are still very, very reasonable, see ebay/stubhub.

I wouldn't bet on cheap tix next year for Bethpage. If you're looking to make some cash, put in for the '09 Open lottery at usga.org starting Monday. I got four tickets the first time the event was there, using two and selling two, with the profits paying for the entire trip.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wow. I missed the U.S. Open they held at Kiawah.
    And the USGA has absolutely no interest in birdies. What Opens have you been watching? The South Central Arkansas Open?

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's another burning question: which daily newspapers who, in the past, have sent their golf writers to the U.S. Open, opted not to do that this year?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I can tell you the Miami Herald is one of those. I'm not sure about Orlando, perhaps someone from SportsJournalists.com Florida Nation can fill me in.

EDIT: Jeremy Fowler of the Orlando Sentinel is at Torrey Pines.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've never, ever picked against Tiger in a major. But this? Yup. I can't see him coming back to the type of setup they'll have at Torrey Pines and win after two months off. Now, will he sweep the British and PGA? I'd take that bet.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No, I wish. Gotta work. Went to the Open 10 years ago at Olympic and it was great. Sorry I'm missing this one.

And what a week in SoCal.

Game 3 and 4 (and hopefully 5) of the NBA Finals at Staples.
    U.S. Open down I-5 at Torrey.
    The Wooden-Scully event at L.A. Live on Friday night (got my dad tickets for it for Father's Day and he's going with my mom and they're excited).

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No Jeff Shain at the Open? Wow. I'm stunned by this one. Times really are tough at the Herald (and everywhere then).

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When are sports sections going to figure out travel? If you have a full-time golf writer, sending them to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is a must, and a cheap must at that, since it can be planned, oh, two years in advance. The same paper will spend twice as much to send a third sidebar guy to Buffalo if the Dolphins get off to a jackrabbit 1-2 start. Or to send the baseball writer to that paragon of useless news events, the winter meetings.
    Then again, who plays golf in south Florida?

Draft saved Draft deleted