1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Torrey Pines edition!

I expect the winner to roll in with a 280-282 (2-4 under) and I <i>don't</i> expect it to be Tiger unless it rains, and the course ceases to be fair for all but 5 or 6 golfers.

The US Open Web site has some terrific reviews of holes; expect mass carnage at No. 5 (515-yard par 4) and No. 13 (when it plays from the back tees).

Providing it doesn't rain, though, it should be an exciting tournament. Despite the length, I'd expect many different types of golfers to have a shot at it.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've been excited about this tournament coming for years because I'm from SoCal and I've been to Torrey many times. It's a great track. Probably won't rain, but the June Gloom likely will roll in. It won't be hot. The scenes, especially with it finishing near sunset on Saturday and Sunday, will be spectacular.

Got a feeling Phil will win, but I'm not betting against Tiger.

Union-Tribune did a cool interactive of the course.

http://interactives.signonsandiego.com/torreysouth/

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You going, MileHigh? The scalping market for this Open has looked very soft in the months leading up, probably with fuel prices and all. Great time to catch this tourney cheaply.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Me, too. I've played the South course a couple times and can't wait to see how it plays when the masochists from the USGA have worked it over.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It was soft. Now that Tiger and Phil are playing together....

Y'know, it's funny, you mention ticket prices. 25 years ago, tickets could be had for the Open pretty darn cheap, if it was in your area.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its so hard not to pick the guy who's already won 6 times on the track. The Open is not Tiger's best major because of the penalty for fairway misses. However, he's won his two Opens at public courses so maybe he's a muni guy. Phil? Not putting good enough. Its going to be Tiger v. Mike Donald (2008 version, Boo Weekley?) down the stretch and this time Weekley/Immelman/Micheel does not hang on.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you ever wanted to attend a U.S. Open, this probably is the year. For the last 20 years, the Open has sold out within a couple of days of the time when tickets were made available. I don't know if Torrey Pines is now sold out or not, but tickets were available after the start of the new year, which never happens.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The U-T's golf writer, Tod Leonard, has been doing an incredible job with his coverage. I suggest logging on to the U-Ts' website and reading him.

I've got a couple clients going, both of whom asked if I was going. Fortunately, they didn't require my presence, because one of the reasons the secondary ticket market is so soft is the Del Mar Fair is going on down the road at the same time.

Translation: it's going to be an absolute circus getting in and out of Torrey Pines and I'd rather watch it in HD-TV at home.

And I don't expect to watch Tiger win. You'll remember two years ago, his post-Masters vacation was longer than normal because his dad died. He was in top physical shape then, which didn't help him make the cut at Winged Foot.

Playing this course on a knee that isn't 100% and having to shake off two months of rust may be too much even for Tiger.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Tiger's display at Pebble Beach was indeed amazing, but his win at Bethpage was bunk. The course setup eliminated 95% of the field after it rained and the crowd made sure Sergio Garcia wasn't given a chance. It was nearly impossible for anyone - Woods included - to make a birdie after the 13th hole.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"The crowd made sure Sergio wasn't given a chance?"

What are you, his IMG flunkie? The only person who doesn't give Sergio a chance is Sergio.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think 2-4 under is a pipe dream. The USGA isn't finished punishing those guys for the winner's score averaging 6-under from 2000-2004. Since 05, the winner has averaged 3.3 over (even for Michael Campbell and 5-over for Ogilvy and Cabrera).

Here's a better question: We going to get an American winner? Since Furyk of '03, it's been South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I am a U.S. Open volunteer. One of 6,000 onsite.

If anyone on this board is going to the U.S. Open and happens to check out the merchandise tent (40,000 square feet) in the morning and on the weekend, I'll be one of the people welcoming you. It's up to you to figure out which one I am.

I agree that anyone wanting to follow the coverage, definitely check out the U-T stuff. And no, I'm not Tod Leonard.

Draft saved Draft deleted