1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If fucking David Duval shoots a 66 today.... that's one of the most amazing sports stories of the year.

To quote Wallace Shawn, it utterly "Inconceivable!"

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

A 68 is still pretty awesome.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

What's a bigger story..................

1. Duval goes 68-66 on the weekend to win the Open?

2. Phil wins his third in a row?

3. Elin Woods misses the cut?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

By Sunday, Tiger missing the cut is old news. Phil would be the bigger story over Duval, since he's been in the limelight. Every golf fan knows of Duval's struggles, but they haven't been a recurring theme every week on tour. Mickelson's play has.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see Duval win. It would be awesome. But forget the 68-66 on the weekend on that course for him or anyone else.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Paging Mr. Ferguson,....

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Except the stooges on The Sports Reporters will rehash it to death.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Duval is a world-class golfer. Yes, he slumped. But him emerging is not an all-of-a-sudden mammoth story, IMHO.

It's a nice story, though.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Songbird: Slumped? Duval hasn't been a factor in a golf tournament in close to five years. That's more than a slump. It would be an amazing story if he would contend for a major on this course. He has been playing better this year, getting in the top 30 sometimes, but he hasn't been a blip on the golf radar in a long, long time. This would be a major story.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, Xan, I've got to disagree on that one. A Duval victory here would be a HUGE story, if only for the fact that he bottomed out like almost no other pro golfer in history. He was like Rick Ankiel, suddenly had no route to the strike zone.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I disagree as well. Duval winning this tournament would be the equivalent of Ian Baker Finch winning a major in the late 90s. I know I'll be rooting for him.

11. Me. aussi.
    Duval's a legendary story if this happens -- way beyond Venturi, and they're still talking about that.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

The guy went from #1 in the world to the 600s in less than two years. He's still ranked in the 400s.

Anyone ranked in the 400s wins the US Open, it's a massive story.

Draft saved Draft deleted