1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jun 15, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Best thing that happened to Monty today was Phil choking even worse.
    Nobody will remember or care about Monty...it's the Open Mickelson blew.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She don't know you live in a Winnebago

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Monty lost it after making that impossibly long putt. Did you see the tears in his eyes?

It was like that was his victory: a "no choke" on the pentultimate hole in a major, to be tied going to 18.
    It was about 15 minutes premature.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Ogilvy's last five majors:

2005 U.S. Open -- T28
    2005 British -- T5
    2005 PGA -- T6
    2006 Masters -- T16
    2006 U.S. Open -- 1

Probably not the last major he wins either. With his short game and power, he'll get a green jacket before it's all over.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Glad to see someone mentioned Duval's finish. Hope this week gets him going. He also needs to because I think a lot (or all) of his exemptions are about done.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

By the way, just saw the U.S. Ryder Cup standings on the Golf Channel.....

It's going to be another tough year for the Americans. The fact that Brent Wetterich, Vaughn Taylor and Zach Johnson are all currently in the top 10 doesn't seem to bode well for our chances.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

Lehman just needs to say "the hell with it" and invite Rich Beem and Daly onto the team. If you have no chance to win you might as well have entertaining characters that people will tune in for.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No, fuck that. Daly has stopped being the loveable lump and turned into a piece of shit who doesn't deserve to buy a ticket for the Ryder Cup, much less play in one. The only advantage Daly brings is length, and frankly, if you're going to waste a captains pick just to get a big bomber on team, J.B. Holmes or Bubba Watson would be much better picks.

As for Taylor, Wetterich and Johnson, frankly, I'm all in favor of them making the team. The United States problem in the last three Ryder Cups is that the players are all ego maniacs who hate each other's guts and don't have a freaking clue how important things like chemistry and comroderie are. Every four years, Europe takes a bunch of no-names and kicks our ass. Something needs to change. If Dimarco can get his rib injury healed up, he should be a captain's pick. Tim Herron too, if he doesn't make it on points.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Agree. I'm betting any of the "anonymous three" would spill buckets of blood to win a Ryder Cup match. Don't know if you can say that about all of the "names."

10. BitterYoungMatador2

The fact that I won't have to see Hal Sutton trying to look like a bad ass in the black stetson already makes this a much better Ryder Cup than Oakland Hills in 2004. Talk about a guy that has dropped off the planet.

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

[​IMG]

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I thought that was a photo of Jerry Lewis from about 15 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted