1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Clijsters is about to bagel Venus in the first set. WTF?

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

When was the last time opponents swapped bagels?

3. HappyCurmudgeon

Only makes sense for the third set to be a tiebreaker with 38 points.

4. sportschick

Now that would be awesome.

What a bizarre match. Maybe both of them will show up for this set.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

It's going to come down to Kimmie's fitness level and her serve. I'm wondering if that first set didn't take too much of her best stuff.

Still happy to see her in this position. Given the current state of the women's game it's fair to say she's a top 5 player right now.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

Big win for Kimmie. Next year this match will happen in the Semifinals instead of the fourth round.

Venus never looked right in this tournament. Never seemed to get in a groove.

7. sportschick

She injured herself in her first match. I think it bugged her much more than she let on.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Wasn't Venus wearing a similar knee wrap at Wimbledon, or the French?

I'm really happy for Clijsters, though I'm not certain what her quick return to the top, or near it, anyway, says about the women's game.

Maybe nothing except that the two years off didn't hurt her any and she prepared very well for her return. I know I figured she'd struggle a little more.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe we make too much of it.

An elite NBA player left his sport for almost two years to play baseball, came back and hardly missed a beat.

Maybe it speaks more to the greatness of the athlete than an indictment of his/her peers.

Clijsters is, after all, only 26. Healthy and well-rested and has the fire burning again.

It's not like Arantxa Sanchez Vicario is making a comeback and kicking butt.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

I think it's a little of both.

Kimmie is a great player with a lot of years left.

But the landscape is far less difficult than it was when she left.

I won't say Kimmie gives the WTA much more star power. She's a little too quiet to be a big star, but she's a very very likable figure and a great competitor.

11. hidden order

hidden order Member

Thank goodness Kim is back. Now if only Justine could come back that would make a reasonable "top 5."Although it goes without saying that none of those players would ever be in the actual top 5 at the same time.

She's been fighting knee tendinitis since Wimbledon. Always hard to tell with Venus though, she's so damn secretive. It does explain some of her crazy results this summer though. She's been horrible. Then again it's been SEVEN years since she won an outdoors US hardcourt tournament, so maybe the knee injury is the least of it.

Did anyone catch the insanity that was the Vera/ Flavia match? 6 mps saved by Flavia, Vera screaming obscenities everywhere, muttering to herself like a nutter, ripping off her leg tape, on and on. Thank you WTA. Thank you.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Pardon??

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted