1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oudin wins, Oudin wins!!!!!!!

Next up Petrova.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what Sharapova does in the next 12-18 months.

She's still losing to people she shouldn't, often getting crushed by the top players and she, like Roddick, doesn't have the game to be a major threat without a big serve.

I think she's far to competitive to just hang around and be a top 15 player who occasionally goes deep at a major.

3. hidden order

hidden order Member

Yes, her team has said they're aiming for 2010 AO as target tournament for when she should be back fully without arm fatigue, etc. But considering that the trainer was working on Maria's shoulder... That might change things once again. She looked and sounded (complete silence) to be in pain during that match. Not just the usual arm fatigue that she normally talks about. I don't expect she will admit to anything in the presser though; she's a notorious liar about her injuries after a loss. Which is nice in someways.

Windy midday matches have been a problem for her since she first injured her shoulder in 2006. She lost in the 3rd round in 2007 pretty much the exact same way, in the exact same conditions, to a similar, but more established player. She played better in that match though. Today she gave away a set in DFs. She's a completely different player at night and indoors now.

She better swallow her pride and go see Lansdorp again and ask him nicely to help her. If he wants the fucking car he's always bitching about or a suitcase of cash whatever. It doesn't matter that the guy is a total dick. Or that he'll run to the media as soon as possible. Or that he's the guy who gave her the serve that hurt her in the first place. He can probably give her an abbreviated serve that will work better than this one.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I guess they dealt with the same trainers at the same time during their developments.

Serena says "I always root for Andy Roddick".

Unfortunately today, she didn't root hard enough.

Speaking of Serena, I dug the "Can't Spell Dynasty Without Nasty" t-shirt.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

Huge win for Isner, especially the way he didn't crack after losing the third and fourth sets.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Safina drops first set to Kvifona (or something).

7. John

John Well-Known Member

After flirting with losing earlier in the Open, Safina managed to do it tonight against an unseeded Kvitova, losing 7-6 in the third.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wifey is not going to like Oudin.

Beat a Russian in the first round.
    Beat a Russian in the second round.
    Beat a Russian in the third round.
    Plays a Russian in the fourth round.
    Could play a Russian (Kuznetsova) in the quarters.
    Another Russian (Safina) was looming in the semis, but Safina screwed that up. Instead, Oudin may play a Ukrainian (Bondarenko).
    And then likely a Williams in the final.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was at this match yesterday. I don't know tennis well, and admittedly, I was texting for football scores as much as I was paying attention to the tennis, even that early. But it was wild. The whole crowd was for Witten and I have never quite been at a U.S. Open match like that. We were smack dab in the middle of the best that Kentucky has to offer; they were chugging beer (at 11 a.m.) and decked out in J-Dub T-shirts and being ridiculously loud and obnoxious (complete with the "USA, USA" chants, because you know, Witten was representing all of us against our arch-enemy Serbia). It was funny, because my girlfriend is French (which meant she was rooting for Djokovic, because Serbia is marginally in Europe. ...at least it isn't a part of America), so she was maybe the only person there rooting for Djokovic, except Todd Martin.

Witten did a great job of moving Djokovic around, and yeah, he has a great forehand (and a beer belly, as you pointed out. If it had gone to five sets, I think he would have been gassed). He made a lot of mistakes with that forehand, but he was just going for it all day, trying to hit winners. He almost pulled it off. Djokovic couldn't flat out beat the guy. He waited for Witten to lose it, rather than being able to dust him off the court. Witten should be proud.

After the match, they interviewed both guys. Interviewer (wasn't sure who it was) asks Witten the hardest part of playing on such a big stage in front of such a supportive crowd (paraphrasing). Witten says, "The hardest thing about it was that I was playing the #4 player in the world." Then during his interview, Djokovic says, "I don't know who deserves to be the #4 player in the world, based on that match. It came down to a few shots at the end of sets and if he had won, he would have been deserving."

So of course, my girlfriend immediately says, "See, he has class! He's not American!" It was a funny moment for us. You are right, though. There is something inherently unlikable about Djokovic. ...except to a French person who is watching him play an American. He broods and was whiny throughout the match.

10. BTExpress

Your girlfriend and my wife would get along great.

Of course, when you compare Serena ("my opponent was lucky") to Dementieva ("my opponent played great"), well, it's hard to argue with them sometimes.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

As much as I've enjoyed her play the last week or so, I really can't see Oudin getting past Kuznetsova. Course if Kuznetsova's head's in the wrong place, Oudin could cruise.

12. BTExpress

CBS is feeling mighty lucky right now.

If Sharapova had to go out, at least it was to an American Cinderella.

If Roddick had to go out, at least it was to an American Redwood.

Draft saved Draft deleted