1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I caught the third set in the stadium today. She got lucky. Very few winners, even when she took control. But did have a great point when it was, I believe 4-4, and the opponent was a point away from 5-4 up. Long rally, Safina made a couple of great saves and then drilled a winner and went on to win the game and close it out on her serve.

Saw some great action on the outer courts, though they were all between people I didn't know. And watching doubles courtside on a small court is very cool.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Aren't you glad to see Clijsters back, too?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You have no idea. Nice to see the Ice Queen back too. Not sure how comfortable she is with her new service motion after the shoulder surgery, but the Sisters Williams need some competition in the Slams.

Oh, and my pick to play Serena in the final is BTE's girl, Elena Dementieva.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except Dementieva likely will have to play Sharapova in the third round. Gulp.

Ivanovic loses third-set tiebreaker to the lesser of the Ukrainian Bondarenko sisters. Ana did that prissy*** "pirouette/fist-pump" when she took a 4-3 lead in the breaker. Lost in the second round here last year and the first round this year. Has done basically nothing (but look pretty) since winning the 2008 French Open.

*** Is there some other word to describe it that I can't think of? I just know I hate it.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have faith in your girl. She's looked awesome this summer. The Ice Queen still doesn't look completely comfy with her new service motion yet.

And prissy is a great way to describe it.

6. hidden order

hidden order Member

Good correction. Yuri Sharapov was not even in Toronto. Though I must admit your fiction writing there was excellent. Nice descriptive scene. He has not been a regular on tour since January 2008. He's been at maybe 3 tournaments since. That's common knowledge.

Yes, she's doubling a ton. She's trying a completely new motion to help relieve the pressure on her shoulder. Mixed opinions about whether it's actually going to work though. During the RC (Toronto) final Joyce (her coach) told her to ignore her tired arm during an on court coaching session. Which earned an angry look from Maria, I guess because she didn't want the whole world to know that her shoulder still gets fatigued during matches. Here's
    where he mentions the fatigue. So the day off between matches during a slam may help her here.

And Ana... what a mess. Totally incapable of handling the pressure of being a top player. I just wish she wouldn't cry like that every time she loses. It's too much.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Ahh sorry I'm late to this thread.

I had the pleasure to see many U.S. Open live in my short life and not being there for the first week still makes me a little misty eyed.

Couple of things I loved about the event.

-- The ethnic battle lines and the way the fans generally follow whatever countrymen is best representing their heritage on the outer courts. It always makes for some fun crowds in matches that would other wise be considered irrelevant.

-- I'm guessing things changed after 9/11 but it wasn't too strange too see a notable player walking through the grounds. A former girlfriend of mine actually got a change to grab Patrick Rafter's ass during one of these moments. Allegedly he grabbed her's first, but I can not confirm that half of the story.

I'm calling Federer for his sixth in a row. Odd thing is I can't remember ever seeing Fed lose a match at Flushing, it's been that long.

BTW last week the Tennis Channel showed the full uncut Connors-Krickstein fourth-round match from 1991. Good stuff.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have always liked Dementieva, too. She has done so well for herself, especially considering the fact that she has no serve -- the only thing that has kept her a frequent threat to win a grand slam instead of an actual winner of a grand slam (so far).

It's amazing, the success she has had despite that critical hole in her game, and it speaks to her athleticism and her game otherwise.

And, it's just an added bonus that she's usually a delight to talk to in an interview, too. She has kind of an easy but thoughtful way about her, and is pretty articulate.

Would love to see her break through and win this tournament after making the final once and the semifinals three times (including last year).

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's the CBS rain-delay staple. So there's a decent chance it'll air again soon.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's what the the people paid for, it's what the people want.

Unfortunately USA Network holds the rights to the terrific Sampras-Agassi tiebreak-a-thon.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

CBS will occasionally still break out a match from the famous Super Saturday of 1984, when all the matches went the distance, finishing with Connors-McEnroe.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nice shot of Sharapova after her win.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted