1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running U.S. Open discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BTExpress, Sep 1, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Because, well, someone had to start it. And BTExpress needs to meet his quota of starting two discussions per year.

Uneventful first day. Good to see Clijsters back. Bad to see the tournament press the Easy Button and put the 29th-seeded woman as the prime-time match tonight. At least wait until she wins a couple of matches --- if she does --- and faces another seed.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to guess who the 29th-seeded woman is, or am I the only idiot?

3. BTExpress

Sharapova. Sorry.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, BTE, would people rather see No. 29 or the bogus No. 1?

Venus had a struggle last night and apparently has knee problems. I think she and Clijsters are in the same quarter, which could be interesting down the road -- 4th round, I think -- if Venus is hurting

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

Is Sharapova's father still coaching her from the stands?

6. BTExpress

Well, I'd rather see the No. 4 (Dementieva), who clobbered Sharapova 10 days ago. But that's just me.

Whenever he can get away with it. Last month's event in Toronto had between-sets coaching allowed. So he liked that. Doesn't do him or his daughter any good, though, when she double-faults 10 times and makes 25 errors per set.

7. BTExpress

And the bogus No. 1 loses the first set to some 167th-ranked Aussie named Olivia Rogowska.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

And is now down 3-0 in the third. She's got 14 winners, 44 unforced errors.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Safina now down 4-2 in third set.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

And apparently didn't lose another game the rest of the match.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Oh, Dinara. She kicks everybody's ass, except in the semis and finals of majors. So talented, but what a headcase.

12. BTExpress

I stand corrected. Apparently Yuri Sharapov is back in Russia --- hiking and skiing and other outdoor pursuits --- and has ceded coaching duties to Michael Joyce.

Draft saved Draft deleted