1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tropical Storm Hanna thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OnTheRiver, Aug 28, 2008.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Re: Running Hurricane Hanna thread

Here in South Carolina, you could say that Hanna *putting my finger on my voice box like Jimbo's war buddy Ned* mmm.... it's coming right for us.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

With the thread slug change, I just realized that this thread would not be complete without this guy:

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looking at the path, if Hanna doesn't grow too strong it'll actually be a blessing. Right into South Carolina, North Georgia and North Carolina -- all places that desperately need the type of rain they're only going to get from a hurricane. Let's hope it stays as a Cat 1 or 2.

4. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Computer models on Hanna are beginning to converge, with all but two having it come ashore somewhere between Hilton Head and Charleston. Intensity estimates are all over the place. Tomorrow, I think I'll fill the cars up with gas and put all the patio furniture in the garage. Then there's the big question -- do I fly to Richmond Thursday as scheduled to cover the race, and pack the wife and the dog off to Columbia? Gonna have to play this one by ear.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It may well be a moo point. National Hurricane Center has the center of whatever's left of Hanna just west of Richmond during the day Saturday. Guessing there's a pretty good chance that race will get pushed back to Sunday or Monday, depending on path and intensity. And don't count out the possibility of Richmond taking on damage if the storm strikes further north, like Wilmington. Isabel, Gaston, Felix and Fran took a piece of the city with them in the last 10 years.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

And now it's going to be right over the Gulf Stream as it passes by on its way north Thursday night, about 50 miles offshore. Lovely.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great, great fishing with that path.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Mother Nature's a whore.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Stirs up things for the surfers, too. Couple of Weather Underground computer projections run Hanna over the peninsula but I've learned not to trust those.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If the projections are correct (and yeah, it's still five days out, i know things change), we could get a real well-needed soaking this weekend up here in the Commonwealth.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Again, unless it does the wet stall, this will be another non-event wind-wise (obviously, a tornado may be spawned.... that's utterly unpredictable), unless it stays in open water long enough to hit the Carolinas as a 2.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Was I talking about winds?

http://wavewatch.com/Surf-Forecast-North-Atlantic.php

Draft saved Draft deleted