1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tour de France Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bagelchick, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, that's why I'm saying I the TTT was perhaps his best chance. Armstrong is riding well now and may be able to hang in the Pyrenees but what will his legs feel like by the time they get to the Alps? I hope I'm wrong and he tears it up, but I just don't know. I do know he'll blow a gasket trying to win on Ventoux if nothing else.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know, I'd kind of like to see Sarah Palin in Spandex.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This guy in the comments section pretty much nailed how I feel:

I can tell you that most of us got tired of Armstrong a long time ago. He's nothing but a good old-fashioned, garden variety prick.

-- Dr. T

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Am I the only one thinking today was a bad sign for Armstrong? Can't remember him out of the saddle that much on previous climbs.

5. Inky_Wretch

First cracks in Astana?

Armstrong: "Things didn't really go according to the plan we mapped out before. I was a little surprised, but it doesn't matter."

6. Shoeless Joe

With his attack, Contador showed he isn't down with the game plan. If he hadn't attacked when he did, the team (Lance) would have been in yellow. When he got clear, Lance really had no choice but to stay back with the rest. If he had attacked himself and pulled the other GC guys back to Contador's wheel, that would have been just as bad.

It will be interesting to see Saturday just how the team rides.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm Tour retarded, so someone help me out a little here:

Why would Lance chasing his teammate have been bad? Aren't they all just trying to go as fast as they can? Why didn't anyone else chase his teammate? Why was it a surprise his teammate tried to go faster?

Also, Lance was in second place apparently by the exact same margin through several stages. How is that possible? Did he and the other guy ride side by side and cross at exactly the same time?

Thank you all.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

9. Inky_Wretch

They give the same time to everybody who finishes in the big main pack.

You've seen the sprinters up front going crazy at the end of a stage, right? Now imagine everybody riding doing the same thing. The carnage would wipe out half the field.

10. Shoeless Joe

Good explanation.

The short answer is, and what most people who don't follow it don't know, is this: cycling is a team sport as much as football or basketball.

It's not 180 guys just racing like an auto race. There are (or should be) 9 team leaders designated before the first pedal stroke. The other 8 guys are free to go for stage wins if the situation presents itself and it doesn't disrupt the team plan, but they aren't there to challenge for the overall lead. That's why it's tradition that the winner doesn't not take any of the winner's prize money. He divides it up between the team - riders, mechanics, support staff, etc. He's gonna make it back in endorsements anyway.

Even with that said, some teams don't really have a GC rider. Columbia and Quickstep, for example, are there to compete for stage wins and the green jersey with their sprinters. The other eight riders on the team are there to be leadout guys for the sprinters on the flat stages and try to steal a stage win themselves on intermediate or mountain stages that aren't set up for a sprint finish.

11. Shoeless Joe

Some of the things I've been reading suggest Contador screwed himself with his little stunt today. Bruyneel doesn't seem happy he went against team orders and decided to do his own thing. If he had gotten yellow, things would be different. As it is, he isn't the leader, so he might be finding himself trying to win it solo because the team is going to rally around Armstrong.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Do you win significant money for winning a stage? And obviously I understand the desire to be in yellow at the end, but what does it matter from day to day?

Draft saved Draft deleted