1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tour de France Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bagelchick, Jul 4, 2009.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Lance Armstrong just started. Is anyone watching?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just amazed he's in first after that layoff.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

He was impressive; now he's third. Levi is now first, but there's lots more cycling to go.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's the over/under on the number of riders disqualified for doping violations this year?

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

San Antonio Express-News had a big cover story yesterday (could have been wire copy) and explained that Armstrong was actually "second fiddle" to others in the race and on his team.

My prediction is that Lance won't win this time.
    But as I told my wife, his just being there is boosting the coverage and recognition of the event ten-fold. Maybe 20-, 50-

6. Inky_Wretch

I think it'll be low. The new testing procedures should have the peloton scared straight.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Fabian Cancellara has 19 seconds on the field. Just hammered the prologue. Astana has four of the top 10 (Contador 2nd, Klöden 4th, Leipheimer 6th, Armstrong 10th).

Yes, Armstrong is working for Contador this time around. He won't win but he'll bring attention to the race and make things awfully interesting.

8. Inky_Wretch

If Armstrong works as the perfect domestique and gets Contador (or Leipheimer <crossing fingers>) into the yellow jersey in Paris, then he might, finally, win the admiration of the European cycling fans. And, honestly, I sometimes think that's why he's doing this, to win their hearts but not the race.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He's certainly never been this much of a non-favorite.
    That's a good point, Ink. Unrequited love may be his overriding motivator.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Running Tour de France Thread?

Not Rolling Tour de France Thread? :D

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

the Tour is always a bigger deal with Lance than without. I'm still not buying he's going to play second fiddle to Cancellara or Leipheimer, but We'll see.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'll bump this up since I'm wearing my Columbia Highroad "world's best cycling team" shirt to work today.

Great day again for the Manx Missile.

Gotta wonder if Lance has taken control of Team Astana now...gotta also wonder how the French media are going to say it was drugs that caused Lance to be smart enough to jump on the break away when he did, while the rest of his team dozed.

Draft saved Draft deleted