1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tony Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I start one every year, so I had to continue the tradition though I have not continued my tradition of seeing most of the shows. First time in years I haven't seen any of the nominees. I hope to make up for that later this summer.

I'm unable to watch so I have it set on my DVR. Better that way anyway. I can catch NPH as host and the awards I care about and skip over the rest.

Last year it was clear Book of Mormon would clean up. I'm clueless about what will happen this year.

As usual, I suspect this thread will be 100 pages by midnight! Or, well, maybe a second page.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hardly a vintage year for original musicals, though the Follies revival was beyond compare.

Of course, I'll be watching the 10-11 PM hour on tape . . . later. Priorities, you know.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I got to see Book of Mormon after it won the Tonys last year, and it was totally worth the sprint across Central Park to try and enter the lottery. I got to see one of the prohibitive favorites this year in Audra McDonald in Porgy and Bess. All the talk is that Follies will win best revival and she'll get best actress.

One day I'll live in New York and make a billion dollars so I can see shows every night.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen The Book of Mormon yet. I really want to. Newsies on Broadway is a must. I've had interest in The Columnist, too.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm not a "musicials" guy...but my wife drags me to them and I have really enjoyed Wicked and Jersey Boys.
    I dragged her to The Millions Dollar Quartet and we both wanted to and got great tickets to see Rock of Ages (I want to go again!)

But, actually...I felt bad for the lack of posts here and wanted to bump that number up! :)

Is NPH hosting again?

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Yes he is. I thought his musical numbers last year were better, but there was a visual Spider Man gag that had me in stitches.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the show itself depends on a strong musical to carry it, hell they brought back Book of Mormon for the open and even used Annie which doesn't open until the fall.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've seen the new Porgy and Bess (after having seen the show about a billion times, previously), and I like what they did, but for Follies not to win Best Revival was Original Sin.

And for PSHoffman not to win for best actor in a drama was a felony.

Draft saved Draft deleted