1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tony Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Well, no Miss A in this number, but DAMN, Lauren Graham looked stunning in that green dress. But I was right, these guys pale in comparison to the original revival cast. It's hard to top the likes of Nathan Lane, Peter Gallagher, Faith Prince, and J.K. Simmons.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Moddy: saw avenue q, loved it. Will probably go this winter when the tour comes to proctor's theater in new york (upstate)

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It seems like only 12 months ago that we just did this.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's Wicked Good!

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

These three young men accepting for Billy Elliot are adorable .... they have no idea what to do!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed "the theatre." Probably though my sisters involvement in it when she was a kid - something about those tympani drums rumbling at the end of a song. I'd put seeing a show on Broadway right up there with a game at Wrigley or seeing Old Faithful spout at Yellowstone as something everyone should do before the die.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This show was depressing enough that I see no point in further comment about this
    year's follies from my corner, once I make the following point:

It is inarguable (among the sane) that Guys and Dolls and Pal Joey are two of the
    five greatest musical comedies ever written. It's beyond debate.

That said . . . the especial tragedy is that if a young person's only live exposure
    to the above two works of art were the 2008 revivals, said young person might well
    think I was utterly off my nut.

Their loss.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As painful as it is to see "theme park shows" qualify as Broadway musicals, and revivals revived without any major tweaking of story or staging, I can't help but think these shows keep theaters in business and allow people to develop as performers and show producers.
    Broadway has changed a lot in the last 25 years, it seems pretty clear that the shows are skewing younger and developing new audiences. I'm sure "American Idol - The Musical" is only a few years a way.
    That said - I'm a sucker for "The Music Man."

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The tweaking's the problem. The idiots in charge jerked with Pal Joey, large. Best revival I ever expect to see was in Boston in '93, with Donna Murphy as Vera Simpson.
    Dead-loyal to the original -- and a sheer delight. Despite the overwhelming advantage
    of the spectacular music, last year's revival was DOA.

10. Moderator1

I didn't realize until just now when I saw it on the Today Show that the singer from Poison was hit on the head by a dropping "Broadway" sign as he was leaving the stage. No word on extent of injuries.

Billy Elliot with TEN Tonys. Is it that good? The Queen enjoyed it but didn't rave about it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How did NPH do as the host?

12. Moderator1

He was fine. He didn't do much. Song at the end that was a little dorky. Cute one-liners that were hit or miss. But he wasn't obtrusive.

Draft saved Draft deleted