1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tony Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I started it late last year while in Seattle, so I'll start it early this year.
    The Queen and I will be among those watching.

All signs point to Billy Elliot winning a slew of awards, including Best Musical. Part of me still thinks Rock of Ages may surprise and win the big one. I haven't seen either one yet. The Queen saw Billy Elliot with our daughter and enjoyed it.

Interesting that the Tony committee decided the three boys who share the title role in Billy would be considered as one nominee. I don't think voters had to see all three, either.

We've seen all the Best Musical winners since 2002. Not that it is a major streak or anything but it is the start of one.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rare year . . . an infinitely-better year for drama than for musicals, which put up one of their most airline-sickness-bag-worthy years in the history of the art form, given the
    largely derivitive/simpleton crap ground out by the orchestra-pit crew. Hope the
    ratings can stem their sickening descent.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Moddy still thinks Starlight Express was robbed.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Is this bad lip synching? Nobody's mouths line up with the music.

5. Moderator1

Liza sighting!

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Liza should hang it up. She sounds like shit.

7. Moderator1

Has for a while, actually.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Her prime was pretty short lived. The rest has been coasting on her legend. Her vocal technique is for shit.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I frackin' love Angela Lansbury. Yee haw!

10. Moderator1

The Queen: I don't want to see Shrek.
    Me: Good.

I love Angela Lansbury, too. Five Tonys. No small feat.

Wicked and Avenue Q are part of that touring thing they just mentioned - both come through Richmond. Saw them in NY but we'll go here, too.

11. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Good lord, the cast of Rock of Ages just absolutely BUTCHERED Journey. Steve Perry should sue.

A number from Guys and Dolls is up next. I am interested in seeing Lauren Graham as Miss A, but it's going to be difficult to top the original Broadway revival cast.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Faith Prince was a terrific Adelaide.

Draft saved Draft deleted