1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tony Awards Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 11, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Richard Griffiths...I thought that was Marvin Hamlisch on prednizone.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Missed 'em. Live with a Philistine. :-\

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wife and I are going in July, have tickets to see Wicked and Wedding Singer. I can't get tickets to Jersey Boys to save my life but I'm going to keep trying. Also might see Avenue Q while we're up there. Pajama Game ends next week, after seeing that clip she wants to take the train up this weekend (it closes on Sunday).
    Missed The Odd Couple, which closed last week.

We saw Lion King, Phantom and 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee last October. We saw Beauty and the Beast, Fiddler, Glengarrry Glen Ross and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last July.

Also saw Rent with my son, Aida with my daughter and Big River on a previous trip with my wife.

We're going for an extra day this summer, will try to squeeze in an extra show.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If you make it to TO you could see "Lord of the Rings". I think "Spamalot" is open here by then as well. Personally, I did "Phantom" 8 times a week for 6 months and still can't even think about the show. :D

5. Moderator1

Doing eight live shows a week is a chore the enormity of which most people can't fathom.

We might add Spamalot to our list. Wish I'd seen it before Sara Ramirez left.

We saw the last performance of Fiddler before Rosie O'Donnell joined the cast.

Oprah is on stage now on this show. The night couldn't be all perfect.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I loved Avenue Q. I saw it with a big group of friends, some of whom were ready to walk out of the theatre before intermission (they're not big musical fans), and all of us loved it. It's weird, but funny and well done.

7. Moderator1

Jersey Boys just won Best Musical.

No chance in hell of getting a ticket now.

Frank Valli is on stage with the cast.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Props to Moddy for starting this.

Quick question: Is "The Wedding Singer" a takeoff on the Adam Sandler movie? If so, it's kinda sad to see Broadway is just as original as Hollywood.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Sandler flick was funny, but does that make it musical worthy? There are lots of movies that I liked to one degree or another. That doesn't mean I'm eargerly anticipating the arrival of Turk 182 the Musical to the Great White Way.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You had to order Jersey Boys 'way out BEFORE last night. Anything's possible with scalpers, but you'll pay through the nose.

History Boys is first-rate. Drowsy Chaperone is best if you're a theatre freak, going-in . . . and trust me, you saw the
    best number, last night.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Moddy, if you can see Avenue Q, it is a must.
    An absolutely freaking hilarious show. Honestly, it has to be the funniest show I've seen on Broadway. Saw the original Noises Off about 20 years ago, and that was probably the standard, and Urinetown was hilarious, but Avenue Q is ingenious.

11. Moderator1

My sister and brother-in-law rave about Avenue Q as well and tickets ARE available.

I won't scalp to see a show, the regular prices are plenty high enough. If I can't get into Jersey Boys this trip, we'll do it next time. Wicked was an "impossible ticket" last summer so we're going this summer.

I remember when you couldn't get in to see Phantom and now it shows up at TKTS every now and then.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Only show I ever broke the bank for was Spamalot. The show was great. I don't regret it.
    Most of the shows I see are through TKTS, though I'll usually splurge for one show per trip at regular price if it's a hot show (and sometimes if the TKTS booth is looking dry).
    Among those I've paid full price for are Wicked, Spelling Bee and Avenue Q.
    Every one was worth much more than face.

Draft saved Draft deleted