1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

At least she phrased it that way, and not:

"IS THAT A GIRL, DICK?"

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If I'm Tiger...I don't even think about the idea of a swing coach.
    It doesn't matter if it's Foley, Butch, Haney or Jesus Christ himself telling you what's right or wrong.....if you're not healthy enough to swing the club, it doesn't matter.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Appears Woods is playing with Reed and Hoffman. 1:40 EST on Thursday. 12:30 EST on Friday.

Would be nice to see him make the cut and complete a tournament.

His new swing looks more fluid and less violent. That should theoretically help him stay healthy.

Still, bad backs and golf usually don’t work out.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Heard that the fusion surgery really helps if it is successful. Goosen had same surgery and has been pain free.

Tiger's ball speed off the driver was top notch in Bahamas; question is whether his short game is up to the task.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I hate Torrey for him and wish he'd have skipped this one. I'm hopeful they've secretly mowed down the rough so he isn't hacking out of 5-inch spinach.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Skipping Torrey isn't an option for him. I'm glad he didn't start at Abu Dhabi last week, then fly back over for Torrey.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

A month of practice should help. If not, nerves.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Like he's going to find the rough, DD.

I would love: Make the cut. No images of him grimacing after a shot or gingerly bending down to pick up a tee or a ball out of the cup, followed by post-round interview after his 73 76 finish where he smirks and says, "All good," and then in a month we learn he was in pain and is out 6 more months.

Speaking of the cut, I think this is still the accurate number, that Spieth -- already a legendary career with ridiculous numbers -- has 17 missed cuts as a pro. Tiger has 16 -- and 11 of them have come since 2010, post-scandal.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can only say my youngest brother, who's 62, had the same surgery a year and a half ago and it worked wonders. Before, he couldn't stand up long enough to cook a meal. Now he's back running and golfing.

12. Yeah, but at some point he's got to see if his new swing and back can handle thick - US Open-type - rough. I'm not convinced he can.

Best of luck of his new swing, but as someone else posted here and many others have noted previously, let's see how the short game and putter do. TW is NO WHERE near the clutch putter has was a decade ago. TW has the yips. And until he proves otherwise, he still has them.

Draft saved Draft deleted