1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think the chipping yips is a non-issue. He's one of the five greatest short game players ever. I don't think that will be a worry once he gets back to regular competition.

The putting, I still have my doubts. Lot of scar tissue. He'll never put like he once did.

But, Jason Dufner is a not a good putter, and he won a major without much stress with elite ball-striking. Mickelson's last two majors were won with average putting.

Most impressive thing to me is he didn't look terrified to hit a draw for the first time in literally years. You can't win at August if you can't hit a draw (unless you're left-handed). It would be a blast to see him in contention at St. Andrews this year.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

He absolutely needs to enter more tourneys, play with a competitive fire like Michael Jordan would do, and stop being a part time golfer who cares only about the majors.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The boat that is Tiger Woods is always springing a leak somewhere. Putting one summer, chipping one month, back injuries another year. If he never wins a major, I wouldn't be the least surprised.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say one, maybe two tops. But that last guess is a long shot. Healthy, he'll always have a chance at Augusta and most of the British Open rota until he's 45 or so. But it's also quite possible he has another season ending injury before next April.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

True.

I once saw at the arena MJ and the Bulls (yr they won 72) school the Warriors; it was around 50-18 in the 2nd qtr and MJ was playing lockdown D like it was Gm. 7; amazing to see and blew my mind. To me that was the essence of his greatness, that drive.

Tiger had that drive at one time ("grinding all the way"), he needs to recapture that feeling with his new/old swing.

BTW, with that squarer swing path, he can absolutely have an easier way to the draw.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree. He doesn't play enough. But he's been hurt so much, it hasn't always been just choice.

7. Will kick off his season at the Waste Management event in Phoenix.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

nine back after the first round.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Toothache?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't know how many, if any, of you watched this live, but his chipping was so awful, it was truly uncomfortable. He was pulling out the Texas wedge, his putter, from 15 feet off the green, and running it up (and not well). Other times, he bladed the ball over the green, or chunked it short. When I said I didn't think the chipping yips were an issue earlier in this thread, I may have spoken too soon. He got it together later, but the driver is still terrible, and the chipping is just as bad as before.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How appropriate.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted