1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was two years until his next major, the '99 PGA. That's not so long, considering how he rebuilt his swing completely in that time. Covered him at '98 US Open at Olympic. Saw him four putt a green.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know that. You know that. But Nike wasn't paying him $80 million to finish in the top five at the Buick Invitational.

3. Michael_ Gee

We all want it all, but when you're as super entitled as those guys, you believe you will get it all, too. Have the beautiful wife and the nice stable family life on demand, and all the strange you want on the road, too. Only later does it come to them this is not a sound life strategy.

John B. Foster likes this.
  4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Mickey Mantle is a great example of that.

5. Dick Whitman

Obviously none of us know what it's like to have beautiful women willing and available on this scale.

But that doesn't begin to explain brazenly making a play for the Perkins waitress who serves you and your wife breakfast on a regular basis.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Because Earl got married.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was going to say I was there for that, too, but I saw him four putt at the '03 US Open at Olympia Fields. That's kind of neat.

8. Michael_ Gee

People within the golf community I know and trust who were active within said community in the '90s have told me that in many ways as a person, Woods was always on his 12th birthday,

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Elin has always struck me as rock fucking solid. Beautiful, yes, but also seems like a good person. I followed her at a couple of tournaments—FOR WORK YOU ASSHOLES—and she treated everybody well. She was the opposite of her husband in a lot of ways. Who knows what she was like behind closed doors, but losing her seems like a monumental fuck up.

10. Dick Whitman

One passage in the book that made me smile was recounting the 1997 Western Open victory in Chicago, when fans stormed the course and walked behind him to the 18th green.

I think it was probably one of the last times I saw my dad really happy. We were standing near the green. I remember it like it was yesterday.

[​IMG]

LongTimeListener and doctorquant like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't know, but the chasing has to become a game in itself after a while. The waitress, the model -- how much variety can you get? And obviously keeping the secret is another game, which Tiger had played to perfection. He had all the ingredients -- a life on the road, a couple of close friends to handle things and an endless supply of hush money.

Didn't the fire hydrant incident happen because he had two phones and Elin found the wrong one? If that doesn't happen, how much longer does this continue?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think he got married because his dad was sick and he wanted to have a kid before the Sainted Earl kicked. It seems to me that Tiger was an immature guy who didn't have enough female interaction young and wasn't done with the strange before he felt he had to get married.

Draft saved Draft deleted