1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tibetan conflict thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I think what China is doing in Tibet is probably among the top five things you DON'T want to do before hosting the Olympics. The Dalai Lama is fearing a "cultural genocide." Hiking routes on the Chinese side of Everest are closed, western journalists are barred from the region and civilians are getting killed. Yep, just another day in the last communist super-power. But at least they still have a fantastic environment!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23655386

My question is what will it take for major countries like the US, the UK, Russia, Japan, etc. to seriously threaten boycotting the summer Olympics, given how vital China is in the world economy?

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I wish we would boycott. We're talking about a country that turns a blind eye to it's citizens leaving female infants in the middle of the street to die.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

China buys so much of our Treasuries, there is nothing we can do, nothing.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

NBC will never allow a boycott.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I guess it's up to the athletes to do the protesting.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have yet to forgive China for slaughtering thousands behind a bamboo curtain to end the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989, I'm disgusted at the IOC's decision to give the 2008 Games to China, I'm dismayed at how much of the American economy is dependent on Chinese factories and I'm horrified at the free pass China gets in terms of its blatant willful damage to the environment.

I hope China does something to well and truly fuck itself this time.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

When China got the Olympics, I thought it was like FIFA giving the World Cup to South Africa. A chance to open up a place that had spent a lot of time earning negative international attention. South Africa's problems, two years out, are about infrastructure and the financial means to fix roads and build stadiums.

If the IOC thought giving China the Olympics would cause a complete change in attitude re: human rights, environment and treatment of political dissidents, then the decision has been an utter failure. China (Beijing) has had seven years to clean up its act, but instead has produced a giant middle finger to the IOC's trusting souls. They are woefully unprepared, other than with venues. It's like Beijing is the college kid who puts off studying until the day before the final, then bombs the test completely.

Amazing that they have completely thumbed their nose at a world establishment that hoped these Games would be a chance for reform.

2muchcoffeeman: The problem is that media coverage will likely be very restricted. You won't see hard-hitting stuff on NBC, that's for sure. It will all be pretty stories about history, mysticism and culture.

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Where's Gen. Patton when you need him?

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Why is ANYONE surprised about China getting the Olympics?? The IOC is made of of a bunch of fucking crooks (who make the self-involved crooks in the US Congress look like saints) who see nothing wrong with genocide or taking bribes.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

FACT!!!

It's shit like this which tarnishes the olympics, makes them irrelevant in my mind, and embarassing as far as I'm concerned.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Olympic boycotts of the past haven't achieved much in practical or political terms. It makes more sense to attend and agitate for change. Order your t-shirts now:

[​IMG]

http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=25057

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's not like the IOC has ever made a mistake before (hello 1936 Games). What I'd love to see is for the athletes to make their own statement. However, the most prominent U.S. ones will probably be told by Nike and Reebok to keep their mouths shut.

But why is it I can't shake this nagging suspicion that there will be a terrorist attack, or some other violent act, at these Games.

Draft saved Draft deleted