1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running thread of people with COVID-19... get well Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My Dad, who was into his 90s, was weak from taking the wrong antibiotics, which emptied his intestines. But he wanted a damn fish sandwich from McDonald's so he went to get it. He sideswiped three cars and totaled his car. No one was hurt. He claimed something broke on the car. I told him that what broke did not affect the brakes and he was unable to stop the car. He can't drive anymore. His license expired and he didn't have a car, so we figured that was it. I said he wanted to renew his license "just so I have it in case there is an emergency."

We refused to take him to the DMV because we knew he couldn't drive safely anymore. He conned his neighbor to take him. He failed. He conned his gardener to take him. He failed. He had no way to get there, but ..... "National Car Rental: We pick you up." He failed again.

lakefront and maumann like this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Went through a similar thing with my mom, who drove into her 80s. Shopping carts., etc, were always "running into" her car. My son and I watched in shock one day as she tried to pull into an end parking spot and kept hitting the median then gently sideswiped the car next to her.

We finally took her keys after she drove to her weekly hair appointment, which she did for years, and ended up 30 miles away not knowing where she was or how she got there. Til her dying day, she talked about driving again and was a bit unhappy that we had sold her car.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The thing I try to keep in mind with my parents is "how would I like to be treated?" I get that its easy now to lecture but my parents have gone through so much and done so much, I don't want to just lecture them.

OscarMadison, Jerry-atric and maumann like this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My Dad, then 91, seemed fine then had a couple of fender benders. The second time he told me he hallucinated someone was directing him to park, and gave me his keys.

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

That is a very good point.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Any way to move some of these older parents to areas where they can walk to the store? To church? To a restaurant? To someplace they're not completely isolated once they stop driving?

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friend, not everyone has the resources to simply move people at will.

This somewhat reminds me of when Mitt Romney explained that youngsters should borrow money from their parents to start a new business!

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to spend my last bit of life in an urban setting like that where I don't need to drive but I'm not isolated

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's always The Villages. Plus, there's pickleball.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Golf cart accidents are way worse.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's it! Somehow Boise State makes the Playoff. (Sorry I very much enjoy watching Mr. Lawrence and wish him the best).

Draft saved Draft deleted