1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running thread - A siver lining in this economy - low ticket prices

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are seats at Stubhub for the Greensboro regional for $50 for the first round games ($25 a game) and $100 for the second round games ($50 a game).

I could go to the US Open at Bethpage for under $100 for the day. Freeking Master's tickets are for sale!!!

For those of us out of the business and wanting to see a game, the drop in ticket prices the last six months has been staggering.

Anyone taking advantage of this?

Anyone seeing certain deals too good to be true?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm an eBay guy exclusively, never been screwed by a person with pristine feedback in triple-digits+.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Masters badges are ALWAYS for sale on Stubhub. That said, it isn't a surprise that prices are down a tad.

RB

4. 93Devil

I am really hoping that football tickets stay this low.

There is nothing in my area right now that I want to see other than one or two Nationals games.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I know it's the Wizards, but I there were tickets on StubHub for the Orlando game on Friday for $1; not bad to see D Howard and a playoff team. I think they were like $2 for the Wizards' game against C Paul and the Hornets a week or two ago. The Wizards stink, but I'd shell out eight quarters to see Chris Paul play some ball.

I'm hoping I can land tickets to Tiger's tourney in DC for pretty cheap.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pistons too. $1-$3 for upper bowl tickets.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. 93Devil

Do stadium or arena attendants turn the other way after a quarter at any of these places?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Can someone answer me this question:
    With teams so desperate to sell tickets, how come ticket prices don't dramatically drop up to game time? Why wouldn't teams slowly decrease ticket prices to games say one week before the game and watch as they get lower and lower and lower. That gives the fans the option of paying 50 for a a good seat one month, or hoping no one buys the ticket the day of the game. Then the ticket costs 10 bucks and the fan wins, the team wins becasue they fill a seat and have someone purchasing in-stadium stuff.
    Isn't letting fans in at 5 bucks a ticket better than not selling a ticket at all?

9. Rhody, I've often wondered the same thing about the airlines. Why, in the final, say, 12 hours before a flight, don't they drop the ticket prices for anyone who might be looking for a last-minute deal?

It would seem filling a seat that is normally $200 for $100 would be better than not filling the seat at all.

10. And who would want to watch them anyways?

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Its fourth of July weekend and it will be 95 degrees. Tickets will be plentiful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ticket prices have been out of control for ages. Hopefully this is a sign of teams getting a clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted