1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running "The War" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 23, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Damn.

Missed the first hour. Just catching up.

And I know I'll get shit upon for this but the proper title would be "The American War"

2. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Hmmm. I hadn't thought about the title. Your title, I think, would leave most of the intended audience thinking, "Huh?" How about adding your suggestion as a subtitle...

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Watching Batan makes me want to go out and smash a Camry

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think I would probably disagree, too, but I can't decode whatever it is she's trying to say. Are there any elitist-NY Times-critic-to-English translators out there who can help me?

Also, I missed the first hour, but it looks like it's replaying again after that. Am I correct, or does the second showing a continuation? Any early reviews from the board?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Batan is to America what Hong Kong is to Canada and the UK

This program is strong powerful stuff, Boom's idiotic response notwithstanding.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I can see where this series will be invaluable to people unaware of the War. For those of us who have been down this road with other documentary films or books...it's hardly anything new.

I had to step away from the TV. I've almost fallen asleep several times...and the forced Latino part came on.

I'll probably watch the rest of the series sometime, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed with the opener. For anyone who thinks this will trump The Civil War or Baseball...they're crazy.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I had an interruption so I'll miss the rest of tonight's episode.

Burns' style doesn't quite work with this one for some reason that escapes my small brain.

I'm not sure why, but I'll think about it.

8. Boom_70

It's too pro american for your taste.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Boom, seriously, let's keep this thread snark-free. Just as a novelty.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did I say that it was pro American? Uh, nope.

Once again you need to polish your reading comprehension skills.

This is an absolutely brilliant program but it's told from the American perspective.

Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Just let's not pretend it's the only perspective.

Go play with 21. You're much better at that than any sort of serious conversation about this...or anything, for that matter.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good stuff, as always from Burns.

The Hispanic story was clumsily tacked on at the end. It took a lot out of the first night's episode (the clumsy edit, not the story itself).

12. Boom_70

You just told us that Burns program does not work for you and now you call it "absolutely brilliant"

Draft saved Draft deleted