1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running The Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 15, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sorry, I'm calling bollocks on this one.

The PGA European tournament is called the Omega European Masters.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Too many American sports fans tend to be myopic and think the world revolves around them.

Used to call the tennis tournament in Paris "The French Open", but now refer to it by it's official name "Roland Garros". I do use "Wimbledon" and "The Championships" somewhat interchangeably.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I would agree.

Not only did he tie for third, he finished only three shots behind winner Lee Trevino. A touch more luck in those four days and it could have transpired that nobody would have thought twice about Nicklaus winning the 1986 Masters at age 46, because that feat would have paled in comparison to Snead in '74.

The year before, in a remarkable burst of consistency, Snead shot four consecutive rounds of even-par 71 and tied for ninth place.

Say what you want about Tiger and Jack and Arnie and the rest......I don't know if we'll ever see another Sam Snead.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That goddamned putter.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hell, he shot 71 at the PGA twice when he was... wait for it... 67.

6. That's the ONE argument I often make for Snead being the greatest golfer who ever lived. His ability to play at such a high level at the age he did.
    Oh if only they had not outlawed the sidesaddle putting stroke.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is he not the youngest golfer to shoot his age or better in a professional or sanctioned event?

EDIT: The Wiki says he shot his age (67) in the second round of the 1979 Quad Cities Open. It also says he shot a 66 in the third and final round of the same tournament. Unfortunately, a look at that year's tournament standings showed he shot a 74 in between and he finished in a tie for 36th place, 11 strokes behind winner D.A. Weibring. Still, wow.

Wiki also says he shot 12-under-par 60 at The Homestead in Hot Springs, Virginia, in 1983 when he was 71. In 1997, when he was 85, he shot a 78 at the Old White course of The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. Again, wow.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When and why did that rule get put in place?

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Early '70s? I think it was because the USGA or whoever didn't think it was dignified and that golf meant standing next to the ball, not behind it. It was more like croquet the way he putted.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Sergio stuff Jenkins is posting on his twitter page is pretty fucking funny.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

So you're saying the USGA or whoever wouldn't have been a fan of Ty Webb? :D

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Actually, the USGA did not ban the sidesaddle putting stroke. In fact, Snead went to the sidesaddle when the USGA banned his preferred stroke -- straddling the line to the hole and striking the putt between his feet -- in 1968. The new rule required the player to have both feet on the same side of the putting line, forcing Snead to go to the sidesaddle approach.

Here's the outlawed putting stroke:

[​IMG]

And this is the sidesaddle stance Snead switched to:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted