1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running The Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I have to apologize.

Whoever wrote on Wikipedia about Sam Snead in relation to Tom Watson today did in fact source their input. I was wrong to suggest that this was not the case.

They did, however, screw up in their update of the wiki - the source, Jason Sobel of ESPN, with a tip from ESPN stats guy David Bearman, did in fact say it was 1966. I took it upon myself to correct it.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn, Watson is older than me!

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Who cares what these people think? No one.

No newspaper has ever received a letter or a phone call from an irate reader because "British" Open was used in a headline or story.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

He's the original TW.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Great to see Watson shoot a 65. I'm partial to the old guys, being old enough to have seen Watson win "The Open" three times in the 80s.

Over/under on how many round under par? I'll say 50. Perfect scoring conditions.

Love this course. Second only to St. Andrews among courses in The Open rotation in my book. A shame it's been 15 years since The Open was there.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And by the same token, I'm pretty sure neither TNT or ABC has recieved any phone call or letter because its announcers chose to refer to the event by its proper name.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, the correct name of the tournament is The Open Championship. Why is that so difficult?

Now, American papers can make it easier for their dumb readers by calling it The British Open but it's not the name of the tournament.

The Globe calls it The Open in its headline but because they're using an AP story, it's The British Open. Dave Perkins, the Toronto Star golf writer who's covering the tournmanent refers to it as The Open in his pieces.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Golf is still a niche sport in this country. A sports fan isn't dumb because he may not know "the Open Championship," refers to the major they play in the British Isles. Is there anything wrong with precision?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wrong again. We get calls and emails all the time demanding we drop "British."
    Why do you insist on make sweeping statements when you have no idea whether you're right or not?

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I got a question;

What fucking difference does it make?

Soda/Pop/Cola >< The Open/ The British Open

It's all the same.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Imagine the uproar that there would be in the States if people started calling it the "American" Masters. It's one thing if fans call it the British Open another when journalists use the wrong name.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo

Funny how Canadian papers can call it by its right name and it doesn't seem to confuse anyone.

And you guys call one of your tournaments The Masters and everyone around the world knows what you're referring to.

We could start referring to it as "The Golf Tournament Run by Really Rich Southern White Guys"--which would be more precise and wouldn't confuse anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted