1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running The Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 15, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

All these idiotic comparisons are funny. Really, though, it all comes down to this...

Watson had a nine-footer to win the effing British Open. He missed it. Choke or no choke right there, he lost by SIX strokes in a FOUR-HOLE playoff. I believe that's the biggest winning margin in a four-hole playoff.

If the putt on 18 wasn't a choke, the following four holes certainly were. The guy is an eight-time major winner and one of the best to ever play the game, and he completely flubbed a tourney-winning putt and he couldn't hit two good shots in a row in the playoff.

Choke.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Let me climb back here. The site was down yesterday.

But I disagree.

Watson had played similar shots with his putter numerous times throughout the tournament -- invariably resulting in kick-ins. His knowledge and command of links golf in general and Turnberry specifically leads me to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

Besides, if he tried chipping, he added another variable to the equation. Putting from that spot gave him the best opportunity to get the ball close.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Sorry, ringer.

That putt... and closer ... derailed his career 25 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Well, the other thing I thought was that he might not be used to using a wood in that situation whereas Tiger has done it loads of times. One more thing: When Nicklaus won in '86, he did so on a course with no rough. Watson had plenty of rough to contend with last week.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True, but Augusta has water everywhere: 11 on the approach. Rae's Creek on 12 and 13, 15 on the approach and 16 to the left.

Jack had to deal with that. Seve Ballesteros didn't deal with it well as demonstrated with that horrid approach which he dunked on 15.

No way I'm buying that Augusta - even with little wind and no rough - is a cakewalk compared to Turnberry.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Guess what the first two words would be out of the mouth of at least half of the sports writers in the U.S. if they covered The Open personally.

"Talk about ..."

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good take from Forde. I know a few people who felt the same way he did. I sorta did. I was torn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4344342

Draft saved Draft deleted