1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running The Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 15, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe. But this graf...

... leaves me wondering.

2. KP

KP Active Member

And Watson birdies the first.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good to see Jeff Overton in field. Indiana guy ... his mom was like six months pregnant with him when she won a muni tourney in Terre Haute. A golfer out of the womb...

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No one except members of the R&A care what you call it, just like no one cares if you shorten it to Rose Bowl rather than including half the companies in the S&P 500 that are some kind of sponsor.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And the leader in the clubhouse is a 59 year old man. Wow.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Everybody's piling up under-par rounds.......except Tiger, lol.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

How cool would it be to see Watson win this thing?

I know it's only day 1,but still.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Tom Fucking Watson! Holy shit, when was the last time someone his age led a major after ANY round? I remember that one year he led the US Open after one round (right before his caddie died I think), but I'm in awe right now. Tom Watson!

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

It has been said elsewhere, but following @danjenkinsgd is pure solid gold. :)

RB

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

From a freshly updated Wikipedia:

"Watson is trying to become the oldest player to lead after the first round of a major since 54-year old Sam Snead at the 1964 PGA Championship."

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sam Snead, according to his wikipedia entry, didn't play in the 1964 PGA Championship.

He was, however, the co-leader with Al Geiberger after the first round of the 1966 PGA Championship, and the sole leader after two rounds. Geiberger won it and Snead, who was in fact 54 years old that year, finished in a sixth-place tie.

http://www.pgamediaguide.com/pgachampionship_detail.cfm?tournament_id=392&date=1966&tourn_name_id=2

Wikipedia is wonderful when people actually source things before putting them on there.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You'd be wrong about that. A lot of stuffed shirts in this country who wish they were members of St. Andrews and the R&A get huffy about calling it "The Open Championship."

Since someone brought up the Rose Bowl, it's not the same as leaving off title sponsors. It would be the same as if Rose Bowl people demanded their game be called "The Bowl," and that everyone should know exactly what game and where you were talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted