1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running The Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 15, 2009.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

It hasn't co-opted the word "Open," it's just never used the word "British" or "Scottish" or "English" or any sort of adjective to describe it. It's always been "The Open Championship."

And the tournament actually started in 1860.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A Golf thread with no Rules?
    Blasphemy....

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The first groups will tee off before I go to bed.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Which begs the question...

Would airing the early starters overnight make any kind of sense for TNT, or is it more trouble than it's worth due to the cost in comparison to airing L&O and Cold Case re-runs?

While I got pissed at NBC for not showing a lot of their Wimbledon coverage live, I'm not sure I can criticize TNT here.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I think they are on for something like 10 hours a day. I suppose they could show every single group from first tee to 18th green, but, man, what an undertaking that would be technically and man-power wise.

As it is, they tape stuff and show anything important that we miss. There's more than enough coverage. As much as some night owl like me might sit here and watch till the crack of dawn (like with the Olympics), I can't expect them to do that.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

As for Wimbledon, ESPN2 does show most of its stuff live in the early morning. And that's the difference between cable and OTA. NBC has a three-hour window. If they go live, they can't control if they come in during the middle of a match, get stuck between matches and, until this year, get a rain delay. And tennis has a very small mass audience compared to NBC's regular daytime stuff.

I suspect NBC will ditch the weekday daytime coverage within a couple of years and let ESPN2 handle all of that.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What stinks is that ABC/TNT get the BBC feed which is NOT HD! How in 2009 can that be? BBC not HD?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As I now own Tiger Woods PGA Tour '09, I will be paying attention. Damn that game is addictive.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Huh? BBC America switches to HD this month. I'd be surprised if the mothership wasn't running it already.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Sadly this weekend will be an up-conversion.

http://www.hdsportsguide.com/news/2009/abctnt-not-delivering-british-open-in-hd-again/

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From the way I'm reading that, this is an ABC/TNT issue, not a BBC issue.

Am I wrong in that?

12. KP

KP Active Member

Well BBC has always produced it. ABC/TNT just takes their feed.

Draft saved Draft deleted