1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running The Open thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Not sure if any of our peers are in Turnberry this week, but I am surprised there isn't yet a thread.

Here goes ... ETW v. Field?

RB

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Prediction: first-time major winner this week.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Cut the bull with the title: It's the British Open, at least in this country, in the interests of accuracy.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

The logo says "The Open", and I consider it the most elite world golf tournament ... And I started the thread. Three strikes against ya, hondo. :)

RB

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

in the interests of accuracy it is titled correctly.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is very weird to think that when I get up tomorrow morning, and I get up at 6:30, some guys will already have posted a score in the clubhouse.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Always ETW v. Field.

What would you set the odds of ETW finishing in the top 10?

What would you set the odds of any other golfer in the world finishing in the top 10?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If it's one on one you take Tiger. Tiger against the field, you always take the field, just look at the percenatges.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

In favor of Woods: Those that have won at Turnberry in the past -- Watson, Norman, Price -- were all considered the best player in the world at the time.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/special/britishopen/2009/golf_preview_turnberry_fields_0709

I'm looking forward to seeing what Rory McIlroy can do, and hope playing with Tiger the opening two days will help lift Lee Westwood's game.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

If Tiger doesn't win, don't be surprised if Hunter Mahan does.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's called the British Open in this country to avoid confusion with the U.S. Open. Yet, the purists seem to have a problem with that (with their usual assumption that everyone knows about golf). Just because it was the first golf tournament (1863, by the way), doesn't mean it can co-opt the word "Open."
    When someone calls it the British Open, there's no disrespect intended. Lighten up.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'll just be interested to see if Tiger hits a Japanese photographer with his club since he'll be playing with Ryo Ishikawa the first two rounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted