1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running the fantasy baseball pennant race is torturing me thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Sep 22, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

1.) Don't click on this, spnited, you grumpy old bastard!

2.) This is for those of us fortunate--or unfortunate--enough to be battling for a fantasy baseball crown or two. Share your anguish, your murderous rage, your head-pounding frustration or, maybe--just maybe--your joy.

I'll start (duh): I'm battling for the pennant--for the first time this decade--in a cumulative AL-only league. I'm in 2nd place, two pts behind a good buddy of mine who has been talking shit for two months about how he's going to beat me. Over the last few days, I've lost James Shields (D-Rays are pussies), Vicente Padilla (a head-hunting jackass) and Vernon Wells (useless) for the season. Earlier this month, I lost Erik Bedard for the season, lost Kevin Youkilis to injury, Nick Swisher to suspension and made the mistake of starting Chad Durbin instead of Padilla in a Rangers-Tigers game. Tonight alone, I had Saturday starts by Roger Clemens ("hamstring issues," that's what happens when you "work out" so hard at 45) and Kelvim "my Cy Young candidacy screeched to a halt" Escobar (shoulder) scratched.

I'm two wins behind the guy I'm battling for 1st place, and my best chance of winning the league is winning wins. Fuck.

In the NIAFL, I'm hoping the absence of Shields and Albert Pujols doesn't nuke my chances against 21 and Boom, whom I must beat.

So come one, come all! Vent here! (This means you Zeke)

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I finished the regular season for my money league in third place, then was rushed out of the winner's bracket in the first round. Then I got smoked in the fifth-place game. Oh, yeah. Top five finish in the money, so I'm out about $60-70.

Fucking Wang and his double-play ball in the seventh fucking inning for an 8-7 win.

In the league I've run since the beginning of college, I made a last-week plunge to go from seventh to fifth, clinching a berth into the upper-echelon. I was then knocked out by the fourth-place team, but knocked the tar out of the third-place finisher to settle for fifth.

It marked another semi-successful fantasy season and added another notch on my belt of postseason misery. I feel your pain with the injury bug, BYH. Last season, a young kid named Liriano guided my ship into the playoffs, when he (or the Twins, rather) decided to hang it up. I am continuously in the top tier of teams -- usually looking down at everyone else -- but some shit like that happens to me every year, and I finish sans title.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

BYH, Rich Harden is starting tomorrow. Perhaps his normally-broken ass is available.

4. Clever username

And you want misery, I might finish third in the Some Idiots league behind a girl who didn't even draft her team. In fact, you drafted it for her, you sonofabitch.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey, I didn't draft it for her. I merely said if James Shields is available, pick him up, because he's going to have a great season.

That's the shit that pisses me off. You can prepare, play your instincts, be right and still lose.

Oh and you can also not make an offer for Josh Beckett because you figure there's no way his owner will keep him off a 5.01 ERA season. Motherfuck. You can also draft Jeff Weaver. Double motherfuck.

6. Clever username

Zeke, are you saying Eric Karabell doesn't know what he's talking about?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I hope he and Brandon Funston die of gonorrhea and rot in Hell.

8. Clever username

[blue]Blaspemy! You will worship at the altar of all things expert.[/blue]

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I am in a Head to Head league and in the title game and Javier Vazquez has had an unbelievable week so far in two starts. His line so far is 15IP 2wins 24k's 0.8 whip and a 12.0 k/bb. He is a decent pitcher but these last two starts he is Randy Johnson in his prime, killer when you are trying to win a league.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

But you won't.

So far today, the Chicago contingent of the Hots--Soriano, Ramirez, Thome, and Vazquez--have donated 4 HRs, 10 rbi, and 11Ks to the Yom Kippur cause.

Maybe if you fasted, you'd play better. 8)

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I object to being talked about behind my back, and BYH just helped me rank my players. The computer drafted that team :D

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Motherfuck.

Good thing this goes two weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted