1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Thanksgiving travel thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cape_Fear, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

So as not to be confused with, and steal 21's thunder on, the Crossed Giblets Death or Bubbler's 7:35 from Dallas, let this be a repository for all the traveling headaches and wonders associated with the holiday. I'll start.

A year and a half ago, the the then future Mrs. Fear and I got the idea to surprise my parents for their 40th anniversary/mom's birthday/Thanksgiving. A brilliant idea and the surprise worked perfectly. The fun was getting there.

Because this was the now Mrs. Fear's first trip on a plane since August 2001 she wanted to make sure we got to the Podunk Airport plenty early. In the interest of marital bliss, I humored her and because of that got to sit next this guy in the terminal who I surmise to be a time-travelling hitman from the 70s. Wearing a brown leather jacket and hair and mustache dyed black, I got to hear his first audible words of his cell phone conversation. "That's motherfucking horseshit!" at the top of his lungs. Picking up on the rest of the conversation his son is due for sentencing next week. "So you'll probably be in jail for Christmas then." Let the fun begin.

God bless old people, but for the love of God, don't fly. We were on the blue-hair express from Podunk to O'Hare. Act like you've been on a plane before. Don't walk six rows past where your seat is and then try and turn around while boarding.

We land at ORD and I turn my cell on and there's a message from my sister. We were supposed to be picked up in Philly by her live-in boyfriend (henceforth known as Jackass) but he got stuck at work. I can tell from the message she's pissed at him. She'll try my uncle to come get us so we can keep the surprise for when we get there. We look at the board and it says E7. Ok, at Podunk they said F10, but things are backed up, it might have changed. We get to E7, no plane, no gate agent. Just another guy with the same puzzled look. Well as part of the alliance with US Airways that's the carrier of the second-leg of the flight. We double check the board it still says E7. Check with a United agent three gates away, he suggests going to F10 they might have the flight there. We sprint to F10 and sure enough there it is making the last call.

We tell that agent about the bad board information, "That's always wrong. Don't go by that." Well who the hell should we check with? The Mrs. is pissed. At least we're on the plane. Get to Philly and all somehow turned out well. My uncle was able to come get us and we shocked the hell out of my mom and dad. When he got home from work, he saw me but now Mrs. Fear and I thought I came solo. "What happened? What's wrong?"

Now we just have to find away to keep from killing Jackass from the next few days and survive the seventh-level of hell that is O'Hare on the return flight Sunday morning and everything will be OK.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm driving a couple of hours home to eat a great meal with the parents, will stop by and say hi to a few friends, and then I'll drive a couple of hours back here. Sorry, not too exciting.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, at least you got there OK and the surprise worked out. How did you keep it so secret?

The only traveling I am doing this weekend is for the football playoffs and despite the fact it has been in the upper 70s to mid 80s for the past month, it is now supposed to snow here Friday and Saturday. Should make for great fun driving to games with a bunch of fucking idiots who don't know how to drive in the snow.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

It was my sister and I planning everything. My uncle didn't know until she called him today. Luckily we're halfway across the country so Mrs. Fear and I didn't have to worry about spilling the beans too much. But there were a few anxious calls from my sister the past three days saying how she almost spilled the beans.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My mom always has a big Thanksgiving dinner, so my wife & I and her mother will be driving about an hour and a half to my mom's for Turkey Day.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Very cool. I hope it all worked out well. I'd love to pull something off like that for my parents, but since they pretty much have to pay for my airfare home that would be tough.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I won't know where I'll be going until tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gola - here's hoping you get frozen rain instead.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Douchebag. I experienced freeezing rain at Easter last year and watched people sliding all over the place. I have to drive about 70 miles roundtrip for a game Saturday and even with my winter weather driving experience, I won't be looking forward to doing it if there is freezing rain.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry, here's looking at black ice, instead.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm traveling four hours Sunday to see Jason Isbell in concert. Does that count as holiday travel?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is why I much prefer living within driving distance of my parents.

I don't travel well and I have zero patience for bullshit along the way. If I had to put up with airport crap on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day, I'd end up in a holding cell. Or worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted