1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2021

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Feb 8, 2021.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Shame a kid as good as Sinner has to be out in the first round after such a strong performance against a big-time player. I guess the early loss will hurt his ranking, and it shouldn't. He should be a seeded player, soon if not now.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Interesting exchange between Shapovalov and the chair umpire, who refused Shapovalov's request for a bathroom break between the fourth and fifth sets.

“What happens if I go? Do I get a fine? I don’t care. What do you mean I can’t go? Are you going to disqualify me? I have to pee!”

“I’m going to piss my pants. I’m going to piss in a bottle. You guys are not allowing players to piss? I don’t understand this rule.”

After the match:
    “I’ve got the smallest bladder ever, so I literally got to take a piss every set. It’s difficult, especially when you’re on that court for so long. Before the match I’m trying to hydrate as much as possible. So yeah, I gotta pee.”

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't there a break already built in before a fifth set?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That isn't going to help the women too much.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

1. Shapavalov is a woman? Then she's in the wrong draw.

b. I think there's also a break before the third set.

6. BTExpress

Players are allowed two breaks per five-set match. BUT he also had called a medical timeout to receive treatment on his shoulder, and players are not allowed to leave the court while waiting for that help to arrive.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ooops. My fuck up.

8. BTExpress

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Defending women’s champion Kenin looked lost and scared in an ugly loss to Kaia Kanepi.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

She got her ass kicked. Not great Bob.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Andreescu looked just as bad in her loss, at least had an excuse — she hadn’t played in a tournament in more than a year.

12. BTExpress

Player who beat Andreescu is actually a fun player to watch. Hsieh Su-wei is 35 years old, a master of drop shots, slices, lobs and angles.

They call her "The Wizard," basically the female version of former French player Fabrice Santoro ("The Magician"). A player who just gives her opponents fits by being so different.

Draft saved Draft deleted