1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2016 / 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Looked and didn't see one yet, even though a quarter of the majors are done.

Anyway, start this thread with a doozie. Raymond Moore, who runs the tournament in Indian Wells -- considered the fifth major -- is 69 years old and had bit more than a slip of the tongue. This is going to end well for him. Mr. Moore, this is no longer 1972.

Group

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What is it with Indian Wells and the Williamses?

Moore's interview/comments brought to my mind those of Al Campanis. Same tone, same mixed message, stumbling over himself and maybe his intent, and coming out looking dumb and really bad.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The truth is that a tennis tournament without men is just so-so.

And a tennis tournament without women is just aiight.

Put 'em together, and you've got a good show.

They're riding each others' coattails, and they need each other. The whole is 10x better than either part, and it's not even close.

Every tournament should have both men and women. Get real, tennis. You're competing with a million other sports and entertainment options.

Wise up.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This shit about how men should be paid more because they play five sets, and the women play three:

By that logic, Usain Bolt should be making a fraction of the the pay of the 10k runners, or steeplechasers.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Good article. Thanks for the link.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Women's tennis has been lacking, but only because of a dearth of women players who are interesting. You have Serena Williams. ... and then a bunch of players nobody cares about, none of whom are even close to challenging Williams enough to make it interesting. Simona Halep? Agnieszka Radwanska? Angelique Kerber? Garbine Murguruza? Nice players if you are a tennis diehard, but. ... blah for everyone else. It would have been nice if Victoria Azarenka could have put it together and live up to the potential, but she just hasn't. So women's tennis is in a pretty uninteresting period.

The men have carried the sport, not because they are men, but because for years the top ranks of the men have been way more interesting and competitive and colorful. There are just more interesting male players right now than there are women players.

If you had something like a Navratilova-Evert rivalry with a Stefi Graf coming up through the ranks, it wouldn't be that way. Women's tennis can hold its own. It's just in a period in which it is being overshadowed.

8. Lugnuts

What's happening in the men's game right now is that a robot has taken over. It's not that interesting at the moment.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I disagree. Even with Djokovic alone up top now. ... because Federer and Nadal are not as tough as they were. ... As long as Federer and Nadal are still very competitive, along with Murray and Warwrinka. ... then add in Raonic and his serve. ... and a bevy of colorful players such as Tsonga, Monfils. ... the men are infitintely more interesting than anything the women's side is bringing. The top five men are still Djoker, Murray, Federer, Wawrinka and Nadal. That is an all-time great line up of men.

10. Lugnuts

Rags,

1. Nadal is not competitive.
    2. Federer/Murray/Wawrinka are competitive with each other, not Djokovic.
    3. Djokovic just beat Raonic 6-2, 6-0 to win IW in a match that was not the least bit entertaining.
    4. Monfils ? Really ?
    5. As to your earlier post, you talk about Vika like it's over for her, but she just socked it to Serena to win IW.

Welcome to 2016, my bro.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By any objective measure, Serena is the biggest star in tennis. Any rational promoter would pick her first as a gate attraction over Djokovic, who is a great champion. Men's and women's tennis have been around for awhile now, and the evidence is clear that in terms of box office, ratings, etc., the advantage ebbs and flows between the two as interest in their top players ebbs and flows. My hardly feminist editor in 1996 sent me to the Open with the words, "focus on the women. The men just don't interest people."

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In America, only. And only because she's American. Djokovic/Federer/Murray carry far more weight around the rest of the world. Hell, Sharapova is a bigger deal around the world than Serena and makes almost twice as much in endorsement money.

A few years ago --- at the Miami Open tournament I attend every year --- I noticed that 24 of the 26 matches on the Grandstand court were men's matches. I love watching matches on that court, which is second in importance to the main stadium court, because you can get close to the players. And it bothered me that there were almost no women's matches, because I love watching them play.

I asked the tournament director why a combined ATP-WTA event would skew its schedule so heavily on that court to the men.

His reply: "EuroSport television broadcasts matches on that court, and they don't want the women."

Draft saved Draft deleted