1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2016 / 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe this is the year an American other than the Williams sisters steps up and contends for a Grand Slam. Won't be happening in the men's draw.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who is going to be that person who steps up, though?

Coco Vandeweghe is still alive at the Australian, and she pounds the ball, but there is a reason she has been around forever and has only done so much. Of the other Americans -- Madison Keys, maybe Sloane Stephens, would be the best of what is left. But they have been ready to take a next step for several years now, and I don't see it in them. Women's tennis for me is kind of meh -- has been for a long while now. The American women aren't even on the radar of that meh. ... when you get past Serena, of course (who pretty much has exploited that meh to dominate).

I agree with you about the American men being a bunch of "will never bes." Every tournament, it is the same mix of Isner, Sam Querrey and Jack Sock being the hopes for American tennis. It ain't gonna happen. I look a little farther down, and I think there may be more potential with the younger men than there are with the younger women -- but I don't know the younger women well enough to say that with good enough knowledge of the 16 and 17 year old women who may be ready to take a step up. The one name I am stuck on with the men is Taylor Fritz. Not sure if he will continue to develop, but he has a ton of potential and has looked really good against some decent players.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I must be watching Fritz at all the wrong times, because every time I do he lays an egg. So far a 14-19 record (0-5 in Grand Slams). But he's by far the highest-ranked "up and comer" American. Hasn't really beaten any great players (Steve Johnson is his biggest scalp so far), but yes, he has taken some greats the distance.

Already married with a child at 19. Very unusual for a top pro tennis player.

On an unrelated note, can we do something with the thread title? Damn you 2016!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Can't figure out how to update this thread title, or if I'm even allowed to. Mods?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That would be me, right?

I just made it "2016 / 2017." Is that OK or do you want it to be something else?

Gator likes this.
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Perfect.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Vandeweghe won't get past Muguruza, who is the best remaining player not named Serena.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Got to give CoCo credit though for beating Kvitova, the #1 Seed.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Kerber was the top seed, but agreed.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Andy Roddick? Really?

They'll let anyone in.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I could beat Kvitova right now. Unless she's ambidextrous.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted