1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2016 / 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Mar 20, 2016.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

How about an American single Slam winner, or an American to win a warmup to one of the Slam tourneys before we talk multiple.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So many Americans are.

But at 6'10" with a 7-foot-plus wingspan, you'd think he would be able to get to a few balls up there.

I don't get the stubbornness of American tennis right now. Isner needs to develop few alternate plays to pull out some breaks... otherwise he'll blink and his career will be over.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hard part for Isner is he's not quick (admittedly he's6'10") and he hits a 2 hander.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Tell that to Venus Williams, who's not super quick either, and was just now hitting 2, 3, even 4 volleys on points to put away CSN.

You either bother to develop that part of your game...

Or you don't.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The next American man who will win a Grand Slam singles title is Taylor Fritz. Mark it down.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll mark it down, though I'm not sure the next American man to win a Slam has been born yet.

Gator likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My favorite Wimbledon story:

Wimbledon doubles pair in protest over bathroom break ban

The best part:

Cuevas, 30, had been given a code violation earlier in the set after threatening to urinate into a ball can after he was refused permission to take a comfort break by French umpire Aurelie Tourte.

8. I can NOT have been the only human watching Wimbledon this morning, begging - begging - Andy Murray's opponent to taunt him ... "Another Point for MILOS!" ‪#‎Seinfeld‬

Gator and Batman like this.
  9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Just because no one posted, doesn't mean no one was watching. It a decent indicator, but it's hard to say for sure.

10. Still waiting on the cut where Milo is teasing Seinfield about being a baby and crying then cutting to a teary Andy Murray.

OBTW ... Serena wins 22nd major.

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I have always liked to cheer for Tsonga but he is a maddening player. Hits crazy shots, dominates with serve but gives away too many points with careless shots. Thought a few years ago when he got to Aussie Finals he'd have the chance to win a few majors, but now doubt he ever will.

Draft saved Draft deleted