1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running tennis thread 2016 / 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Mar 20, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For the first time in a very long time, men's tennis is looking quite weak. I don't disagree with you. ... Nadal and Federer are remarkable, piling on majors right to the end of their careers. I am cognizant of the fact that I am watching greatness and that I should enjoy it, because it will soon be gone. But with Murray, Djokovic, Wrawrinka out of the Open, men's tennis really suffered. Federer is amazing, but prior to Del Potro, those were not difficult tests for him (at least for the younger Federer), and early on the tournament, he looked kind of off, actually. Similarly with Nadal, those were some pretty mediocre players that he had to get through for a major, right down to Kevin Anderson in the final.

It was particularly noticeable for me, because with Serena out, and the young U.S. women creating a storyline for the tournament, women's tennis was actually fun to watch for the first time in a long while.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't know. Can you become an American citizen in two months? If not . . . J.J. Watt it is.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Federer should have been AP Male Athlete of the Year in 2005. I didn't think it was even close. When Lance Armstrong won it (AGAIN) that year I figured tennis was so far off the male sports radar it would never happen.

Of course there was a year or two when Serena wasn't AP Female Athlete of the Year and it was head scratching.

4. BTExpress

Olympic years. And the Annika Sorenstam/Lorena Ochoa full house from 2003-07.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Well Mon'e Davis won it in 2014 but Serena struggled that year, only made it to the second week in one slam, the U.S. Open, which she won along with the Tour Finals. So it was a cool time to go off the grid I suppose. Better than Ronda Rousey winning it I guess.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I heartedly agree. The door was wide open for Thiem or Alexander Zverev to burst through, and instead we get more of the same. I know that sounds like I'm detracting from what a great feat was for Fed and Nadal to win 2 majors each, but as a well worn tennis watcher I'm in awe of their achievements but just longing for something different.

I cannot believe that Djoker and Murray will not rise to the top again (and Stanimal too) but its getting tired to see the same ole same ole.

7. BTExpress

The Shapovalov Era is coming.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Man, I hope so. He is FUN. ... and really good. The match against Carreno Busta was really frustrating, though. It was a reminder that "knowing how to win" is as important at that level as having the shots.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Serena got married.

Draft saved Draft deleted