1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Super Bowl Trivia Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jan 29, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Crap. My second guess on No. 4 would have been correct, but I looked it up so I'm disqualified.

1. Ricky Sanders caught two of the touchdowns and Gary Clark had one. The fourth was one of the tight ends, Didier or Warren I think, but I forget which.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll guess at 4: Lawrence McCutcheon

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Correct. Still looking for an answer on No. 3.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Boyd Dowler for no. 3?

5. Steak Snabler

yep.

Here's another one to chew on ...

Seven former Heisman Trophy winners have accounted for touchdowns in a Super Bowl — four as rushers, two as passers and one as a return man. Name them.

Answers

Rushers
    1. Marcus Allen — 2 touchdowns in Super Bowl XVIII
    2. Eddie George — 2 touchdowns in Super Bowl XXXIV
    3. Tony Dorsett — 1 touchdown in Super Bowl XI
    4. Mike Garrett — 1 touchdown in Super Bowl IV (the famed "65 Toss Power Trap")

Passers
    5. Roger Staubach — 2 TD passes in Super Bowl VI, 2 in Super Bowl X, 1 in Super Bowl XI, 3 in Super Bowl XII (8 total)
    6. Jim Plunkett — 3 TD passes in Super Bowl XV, 1 in Super Bowl XVIII (4 total)

Return man
    7. Desmond Howard — kickoff return in Super Bowl XXXI

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Desmond Howard was the return man
    Plunkett and Staubach were the passers
    Dorsett, Eddie George may be the runners. Blanking on the other two

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Desmond Howard is the return man. (Edit: dammit, cycling beat me to it)

Eddie George is definitely one of the runners. I'm assuming he is right about Dorsett, too. Marcus Allen is another.

8. Steak Snabler

All correct answers so far. Still need one more rusher, though.

9. Steak Snabler

While we wait on that last answer ...

Four men have both played in and coached (as a head coach) in a Super Bowl. Name them.

BONUS: Two future Super Bowl head coaches were backup quarterbacks on Super Bowl teams, but did not see action in those games. Name them.

ANSWERS:

1. Dan Reeves — played in Super Bowls V and VI with Dallas; coached Denver in Super Bowls XXI, XXII, XXIV and Atlanta in Super Bowl XXXIII

2. Mike Ditka — played in Super Bowls V and VI with Dallas; coached Chicago in Super Bowl XX

3. Tony Dungy — played in Super Bowl XIII with Pittsburgh; coached Indianapolis in Super Bowl XLI

4. Forrest Gregg — played in Super Bowl I and II with Green Bay and Super Bowl VI with Dallas; coached Cincinnati in Super Bowl XVI

BONUS:

1. Tom Flores — backup quarterback in Super Bowl IV with Kansas City; coached Oakland in Super Bowl XV, L.A. Raiders in Super Bowl XVIII

2. Sam Wyche — backup quarterback in Super Bowl VII with Washington; coached Cincinnati in Super Bowl XXIII

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Tony Dungy. Dan Reeves. Don't know about the rest.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dan Reeves, Ditka, Tom Flores.

Also, Flores for one of the backup QB spots.

12. Steak Snabler

Correct on Ditka, Reeves and Dungy. Flores is correct for the bonus, but he didn't actually play in a Super Bowl (was back-up to Len Dawson with KC in SB IV).

Draft saved Draft deleted