1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Super Bowl hype thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 20, 2008.

?

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

1. Patriots

49 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Giants

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What are you thinking, a sig bet?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, if my prediction comes in, you will be flush.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Fucking crazy.....

The 1985 Patriots' success came through a number of fluky turnovers in key spots.

This Giants team has physically gotten the best of three high-quality teams in a row.

And they had the Patriots beat the game before that.

This team is a major-league unit.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Since they have won every game in which I rooted against them this year, I am rooting for the pats. Maybe I am just the kiss of death for NFL teams.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Wouldn't the '05 Steelers -- another wild card team forced to win on the road -- be a more apt comparison?

Excellent defense, solid running game and a young QB coming into his own (though unlike Manning, Roethlisberger was damn good in the regular season).

6. Simon_Cowbell

That's about right.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That's what I thought. :D

I may be ill-informed -- I was five at the time -- but the '85 Patriots seemed like an above-average team that got lucky.

Oakland and Miami were each 12-4 ... and each lost its opening playoff game. How often does THAT happen?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Miami didn't lose its playoff opener. The Dolphins lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship Game, ruining any potential drama. It would have been Miami and Marino, not only the lone QB to beat the 46 Defense but likely the only signalcaller who could maintain some kind of calm in the face of that rush.

Instead, the Pats went in there and got steamrolled.

9. They had the Patriots beat.
    Until they, you know, lost.
    In March, the barstools of the NFL Saloon are going to be full of people weeping into their beers that they had the Patriots beat.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The single most difficult feat to accomplish in football is to maintain a strong pass rush for the full 60 minutes. That's what it takes to beat the Patriots, too.
    The Giants have at least the theoretical possibility of doing that. But not much of one.
    I will say this. If New York can play another turnover-free game, they'll cover.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not a Jints fan in any way. But if you root for the Pats and they lose, I'll marry you on the spot.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Does this mean Giselle has to stay away from the big game so Brady doesn't do a "Romo"?

It would be nice if the underdogs win.

Draft saved Draft deleted