1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Super Bowl hype thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 20, 2008.

?

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

1. Patriots

49 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Giants

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

True. But we keep the bandwagon parked over here in Manhattan. I think it's down in the Financial District tonight, rounding up investment bankers.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am going to have nightmares about fatass berman saying "giants won on the frozen tundra...."

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Better than the nightmares I would have listening to "Packers won on the frozen tundra."

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The Los Angeles Lakers played for a long time in Inglewood, and the LA Rams played a long time in Anaheim. Semantics.

The national media associates the Giants with NY, and the Patriots with the recent revival of Boston sports.

The Giants play in East Rutherford, but they represent New York.

The Patriots were originally known as the "Boston" Patriots, and a name change did not lead to a location change.

I can amend it to "a team associated mostly with New York and whose supporters are largely based in New York against a team whose supporters are largely based in Boston, and which is usually associated with Boston despite an aborted move to Hartford a few years ago" if you wish.

Either way, my original point remains. ESPN is likely just fine with the two major East Coast sports power areas sending teams to the Super Bowl. Though Favre-Brady wouldn't have broken their hearts either.

5. The Patriots are good and lucky.
    The toughest team they'll face this postseason was Jacksonville. New England somehow avoided the Colts, Cowboys, Packers and a healthy Chargers team. Who would've thought?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, The Pats avoided the Cowboys or Packers (couldn't have played both) because they now have to play the team that beat the Cowboys and Packers on the road the past two weeks.

7. The Giants and Jets will always be associated with and from New York because of where they first played.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

And they didn't exactly avoid the Colts. They beat the Colts in Indy, and then the Colts choked before the rematch could happen.

9. Giants are the reincarnation of the 85 Patriots. A good but not great team that played lights out as the bottom seed in their conference and won three straight games on the road, the last two of them stunners. Then they ran into the steamroller ...

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hopefully Eli doesn't pull a Tony Eason.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't know. Rivers was good enough on one leg to keep the Chargers in it through the fourth quarter, so if Eli plays the way he has the past three weeks, I won't put it past the Giants to pull the upset.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

The greatest upset in NFL history? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Draft saved Draft deleted