1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Supe XLII/42nd Large And Important American Football Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 3, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure glad the reporters didn't waste oxygen on the utterly irrelevant question of when Bill shook and when did he know it.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes. nobody wants to know why he took a shit on the biggest game of the year.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i'm with byh and hb, i still can't believe the giants won.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He is hated partly because he appears to believe he is too smart/exalted to give a sports writer any passably intelligent response to anything. No one is asking him to break down the game into some abstraction (that apparently only he truly understands), but Jesus Christ, make a fucking effort. One time.

People want to know why he walked off the field. They don't need to know that the other team Made More Plays or that they're a Good Football Team.

The resentment he gets is entirely justifiable.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I disagree. There were a lot more pressing questions for Belichek after the game than why he walked off early -- like why he didn't kick the FG, why the Pats' O-line got its ass kicked, his thoughts on so narrowly missing 19-0, whether he thought Eli should have been called in the grasp on that last throw to Tyree just for starters. The walk-off was typically classless, but it was a relatively minor issue compared to everything that had just taken place.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

broadway joe, he would issue the same responses for those questions as for the ones asked of him.

Someone asked him about the field goal. He said "Well, it was a 50-yarder" or something to that effect. Yeah, and so?

You are clearly not going to get anywhere with this guy, so why not make him squirm right off the bat.

7. dooley_womack1

Yeah, in the general public, no one gives a shit. He shook the opposing coach's hand, making the alleged two seconds of infamy moot.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, it was one second. also, i think the public will want to know why in the fuck he dumped on the biggest game of the year.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We've gone over this shit before. Really we have. You ask the question, the presser probably ends right there and you've got 279 angry colleagues staring holes in you. And you don't know if it's the LAST question.

10. dooley_womack1

How, precisely, is that dumping on the game? You chanting it like an obscene mantra doesn't make it so. He should have stood there to watch one second?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think he's referring to losing the game itself.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ. yeah, the coach of a super bowl team should be on the field while the game is being played. i don't think asking a coach to respect the game and the other team is asking too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted