1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Studio 60 thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Re: Studio 60 premiere (spoilers)

Watched first 15-20 minutes, thought I was watching a "Sports Night" re-run. While it looks OK, I'd rather have Dan, Casey, Dana, Jeremy, Natalie and Benson, er, I mean Isaac.
    Though if Sorkin does make it a point to get his friends back in the mix, how about the chick that played Kim in SN? Always depressed me how they never managed to hook her up with Dan.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: Studio 60 premiere (spoilers)

I'm not trying to be contrarian just for the sake of it, but just to get another take out there -- the episode didn't really do much for me. It exuded that smug ain't-we-clever writing that's just show-offy to me rather than insightful.

But I understand I'm in the minority -- I'm not dissing anyone who liked it, just saying I was underwhelmed.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Boomtown was another... I know Homicide lasted awhile but it was so underappreciated for the same reason... I think it's the same reason why The Wire isn't the breakout hit that everybody thinks it should be...

The difference is Studio 60 has major star power and that will help it a lot...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Put me in the "just OK" camp. Matthew Perry was very good, Amanda Peet, too, but the rest of it didn't impress me so much. Of course it was one hell of a lot better than the bus plunge that is CSI:Miami or the inspiring sight of Chris Gardocki punting yet again.

5. Mizzougrad96

I watched it about a month ago, but re-watched it last night... I was surprised at how good Perry is... I guess I shouldn't be, because he had done very well with guest stints on West Wing... Whitford is always great as is Busfield... It also says a lot when a show can get Felicity Huffman and Judd Hirsh as guest stars for one episode, especially when they have shows on other networks...

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Psyche got renewed. That and Monk won't have new eps until January.

7. Mizzougrad96

I didn't like Psych. Monk is a fantastic show that it blows my mind that NBC passed on... I mean, I can understand shows like The Shield, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me that are probably a little too racy for the networks, but Monk would be perfect on any network...

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Psych's season is over, they probably only ordered 8 episodes to see if it would get an audience. I believe it will be back in January.......I sure hope so, I like that show.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like it, too. Psych and Monk are a good combo for USA.

10. Re: Studio 60 premiere (spoilers)

Sorkin can write, but, god, he's got a sweet-tooth for ex machina devices. Whitford's cocaine lapse means they can't make the movie but they can run a weekly network TV show? What universe does this happen in? Even with the fig-leaf of the insurance bond, the idea that a network on thes pur of the moment would hire a guy who fell off the wagon a month ago to run its signature show.
    Peet's a terrific actor. She was great in the L&O where she was the rich girl who went Patty Hearst after being kidnapped.
    Monk's fabulous.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

I loved it.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the pilot.

And speaking of recurring actors in the various Sorkin shows ... Wasn't the woman in the control booth next to Busfield also on West Wing? She was the one who said something about his kids, right before he decided to cut Hirsch off the air.

Draft saved Draft deleted