1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Studio 60 thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Sep 18, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was one fucking outstanding hour of television right there. Sniff.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You've got to give the creators credit for finishing the series out without a hint that it was dead man walking. It was a very good episode that addressed a lot. But it could have been so much more, I would have still watched it if it came back, but I'm glad they wrapped it up pretty well.

4. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

This sets up the rest of the season nicely.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it was a bit too tidy...wrapping up four different plots (Jordan's survival, Matt and Harriet, Simon apologizing and Tom's brother) in the final 20 minutes...

But it was still a very good series finale. Lots of Matt and Danny. Minimal Jordan. Underutilized Tim Busfield, as usual. Lots of great dialogue. Gave us answers to the show's main questions. And I liked the military guy handing the phone to Tom with his brother on the line. Very well done.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Absolutely.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

According to Jim gets renewed for a seventh season, but Studio 60 lasts only a season and gets the Drew Carey treatment with it's final episode buried between summer programming...

8. outofplace

Makes you sick, doesn't it?

Though I have to say....it wasn't quite as good in the fall, when the show's fate was sealed.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It went through a dry spell when it mattered the most... Of course, NBC bailed on it when it still had a chance to get some momentum... Because they really needed to give "The Black Donnellys" that time slot... That worked out well didn't it...

I think it was a combination of Sorkin's arrogance and NBC's stupidity that did the show in...

10. outofplace

Agreed....though I can see blaming NBC for not accounting for Sorkin's arrogance....they should know by now that is part of the package.

11. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

While I am in complete agreement on Perry/Whitford and the fact that Sarah Paulson was totally miscast as Harriet, I wonder if the Danny/Jordan plotline would have worked better (or really, ever happened at all) had Amanda Peet not gotten pregnant early in the show's run. Not writing in her pregnancy would have been difficult given Sorkin's walk-n-talk style. (known to Wingnuts as "pedeconferencing" and apparently something that came about when filming A Few Good Men).

12. outofplace

It struck me as always being part of the plan, at least from the time the first show was written. I thought there was some spark between the two in their very first scene together in the pilot. The flirtation struck me as odd at the time due to the circumstances.

I do think things were moved up in the story because of the pregnancy and because it became clear that the show might not survive past the first season.

Draft saved Draft deleted